TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Junkyard 343 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Junkyard 343 build
    Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 10:04pm
Howdy everyone.
Today for your viewing pleasure. I will show you one of the cheapest builds in recent years on here: 
The Car:
1968 Ambassador sst bought for $250 from my scoutmaster when I was 17 years old.

originally it had a tired old 290 V8 with high mileage. I rebuilt it drove it for awhile but felt that power was lacking. so I sold the engine, and have since been planning and building a blown 390 to take its place. but that project will take a long time as money is tight and so is my time. so i figured while I do that. Ill restore the interior of my car. it had no headliner, no seat upholstery left, and all the color had faded from 20 years of sitting in the California sun. So I searched for a parts car or swap meet to get a new interior

I found this 1967 Ambassador DPL in a junkyard for sale. it had a good interior that I know i can clean up. and as an added bonus, A 343 v8 and trans! best of all judging by the little to no wear in pedals, no tears in seat cushion, 50,000 miles on the od, and a surrender of title to the junkyard in 1979 tells me this car has very good useful parts for me! I mean it only drove for 11 years! so I couldnt say no. I bought it. and for only 1400 bucks!

Its time for the overhaul! this engine needed to come out anyway as my friend wants to use this rusted out body for a dirt track race or offroad buggy, maybe even demo derby. so out it comes!

Edited by Skwishy - Aug/10/2022 at 10:44pm
HFD Helmet #33
'68 AMC Ambassador SST. always looking for parts and cool stories. In dire need of a manual trans.
Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 11:08pm

After hours of degreaser, brake clean, power washing, and rags. I finally was working towards prepping the block for paint. even with all the grime. the cam looked to be in great shape, Valve train too! no pitting or metal gouges. but LOTS of GREASE! didnt help it was stored with no intake for who knows how long. so I thoroughly washed the inside. I even removed the oil pan and flushed the whole block.

The original oil pan could be saved but would require a TON of work. I dont have a hot tank and it was filled with sludge. so i used the new one I had lying around. and bolted it up. but not before cleaning and checking the crankcase for excessive play.

Next I Painted and checked if some of my old speed parts would fit. Surprise! they do!
I know theres still sludge in the valley. but i still have to pull lifters and pushrods, when i do, ill clean those spots, but all in all, im not too worried. Ill just run some ATF and Sea foam through it to clean out more stuff i cant get to.

Edited by Skwishy - Aug/10/2022 at 11:27pm
HFD Helmet #33
'68 AMC Ambassador SST. always looking for parts and cool stories. In dire need of a manual trans.
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 11:31pm
Interesting…sweet old car!  Keep posting!
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 11:39am
This should be fun. Is that a Wisconsin yard?
Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 12:02pm
Auto Parts city Gurnee Il. Right on the border. The owner has an old private yard hes selling off. Hes got impounded cars that havent moved from the 70s 80s. Hes even got like a dozen packards. And if anyone here is interested. Hes got a mint body jeep dj5 no rust holes. 
HFD Helmet #33
devildog80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devildog80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 7:52pm
Would be sad to see the donor go out as a derby car, unless there is no title, as the body looks pretty good for some that need the parts it would have to offer.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150, 727, ST NP229, AMC 20 Rear - D44 Front - WT 3.31
Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 9:53pm
Dont let it fool you, the only good metal is the doors and hood. The whole drivers rocker and floor is gone. It isnt restorable. But it has potential as a gambler car. We are thinking welding up angle iron for more structure and add a light bar and lift kit. Im giving the body to my friend and they told me they dont want to destroy it anymore. 
HFD Helmet #33
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 7:47am
That blue Ambo aint bad, around here it would be a cream puff.
Here in the northeast  car bodies rot quickly.

it is a shame to see it go as a parts car.
Gremlin Dreams
Skwishy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skwishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 8:43am
Id be willing to wager here in Wisconsin the rot is just as bad. The rear quarters have holes the whole way back. Fenders could be saved. But the rockers and floor structure are missing. Which is an integral part of these cars. But luckily no sagging yet. As i mentioned it sat on a lot for 44 years so not much wear and tear. 
HFD Helmet #33
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 11:22am
In this area the sand and salt would sandblast the metal
cover at the rear of the front wheel well eventually chewing through.
With the cover the door sills gone eventually they fill with road salt.

The results are obvious.

As to the blue Ambo, My family owned a 290 powered one in the early 70's.
It was blue...
I have not seen one in NH in 40 years.
No kidding!

Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic