TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

javtopgun Help Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 6:35pm
amcenthusist , Im slowly relizing that you may very well be speaking truth here , How ever as 2500 it dose come alive for the most part when all is working rite , now with the dis doing or should i say not doing its job right . having a lot of herky jerky at low to moderate gas pedel ,  What would you suggest for the gearing ?? 
1968 Javelin SSt 343ci semi restomod .
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 9:53pm
I am in agreement with amcenthusiast.
I think with the cam that you have the car would be much happier with a 3.54 or 3.73 gear.  Of course the problem with that is you would be winging it pretty good at 70-75 mph.  That is probably not too practical for you. You would have been better off with a 268H cam or something smaller than the 280H.
Just because you didn't bend any push rods it doesn't mean that they are the right ones.
NEVER EVER listen to or trust anyone at Summit or Jegs for advice. They don't know what they are talking about.  Just because they sell +.100" push rods it doesn't mean that is what you need.
Also, ford rocker arms fit fords just fine.  You need AMC rocker arms if you are going to install them on a AMC engine unless you really know what you are doing. 
Do you know what your compression ratio is?

Edited by SC397 - Aug/05/2021 at 9:58pm
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 11:27pm
I hear you , but i called summit to try and verify if these were right , not my choice , all builder , i had no control on any thing , one reason i dont know amc engine's at all ! 2 as said , i have no ideal if a push rod adj tool was used to fit the rods at all , i suspect not since i dont thank a torque wrench was . lord oh lord  . im in deep dodo here .  I thin k i had mentioned i suspect valve geometry was in volved !  
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 11:29pm
 Teh comp rockers have all kinda cleance and i know the heads , edelbrock , had them on there aproved list for these heads . those ford one were not. !
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 11:31pm
i thik i have a pic of them on before the motor was installed but i dont know what a pic is going to show ?
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2021 at 11:45pm
Is there nothing between 3:15 and 3:54 ? right now tho the motor ills or my main concern , gearing is an easy fix kinda . But out of wondering , do the make a quick change type diff. ? Like i could afford it ! lol
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2021 at 12:52am
All i posted above i for got to answer the question . Old im getting untill i get in my baby then im 17 again ,, lol .. well according to my builder ( ahhhh )  about 9.5:1 but who can trust him ! So really i dont know for sure ! 
javtopgun View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javtopgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2021 at 1:26am
Well im going to hit the hay , old means tired lol . But what im getting out of this so far IS , if i want low end power with this hodge podge of parts , i need a torquer manifold , Some sort of holly 4v ( what would u all suggest ) remember i have the rod throttle linkage . Modified at that .  A new distributor other than this wore out 52 year old one ( guys i do like points because i under stand them and u do have a little wiggle rome to play with ign. timing thru gap and plug gap). 3:54 rear gearing . A complete Valve geometry go over and with a P/rod adj measuring tool for proper length check . Can i adj the valves old school , Loosen till they clack and 1/4 turn tight . i ask cuz i did that at 17 on a 69 jav 343 ( my friends ) that woke the motor up and i did it on my old motor That also woke it up from dog to pretty amazing . it too would not lay rubber till i did that , BUT when i took the caps off to do that all the rockers where so tight that i had to use a breaker bar to break them loose , That was very strange . but the car was only driven 1000 miles a year for 51 years on a farm not on the street ! And who knows what else left for me find ! Am i close so for guys ??  Till tomorrow ! and thanks so for , i think lol !! 
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2021 at 6:01am
Originally posted by javtopgun javtopgun wrote:

Is there nothing between 3:15 and 3:54 ? right now tho the motor ills or my main concern , gearing is an easy fix kinda . But out of wondering , do the make a quick change type diff. ? Like i could afford it ! lol

There is a 3.31 but it was offered only in the Jeep line.  You can find them but you have to search for a Jeep AMC20. 

Edited by SC397 - Aug/06/2021 at 6:06am
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2021 at 6:12am
Originally posted by javtopgun javtopgun wrote:

Check the 4x4 sites... Jeeps with the AMC 20 rear end had the option of a 3:31 gear. The basic housing is the same, so the gears will work in the AMC cars.

If the car is "doggy" below 2500 RPM, but takes off at 2500, that tells me your car needs more gearing in the rear end (or a smaller cam). The engine build you got was [apparently] better suited for lower (numerically higher) gears than 3.15s.

To use Strother Martin's line from COOL HAND LUKE, "What we have here...is...failure to communicate."

Did you tell the engine builder you were going to run the stock 3.15 gears? Did the engine builder tell you what octane fuel you need to run for that particular build? Did the builder recommend a higher than stock stall speed on the converter? Because it sounds to me like you just told the builder how many HP you wanted, he did a mostly standard "sling-parts-at-it" build for that HP level, and you both are not satisfied with the outcome. All because either the builder didn't ask for all the necessary information, or you didn't provide all the necessary information. 

It's possible to build an 850-1000 HP smallblock; NASCAR shops do it all the time. But those engines are dogs below about 4000 rpm, in most cases. So building to a HP number without considering the rest of the car is, sorry to say, a foolish mission. Gears. Weight. Converter stall speed. PRIMARY USAGE OF THE CAR. It ALL matters.

I hate to say it, but maybe you got what you ASKED FOR, without getting what you WANTED or NEEDED.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic