TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin side exit exhaust tunnel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2021 at 9:05pm
Any updates? 
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by phast1 phast1 wrote:

I'm in California, and to my knowledge the exhaust exit location isn't explicitly said to have to be behind the driver, though there are new ish laws that are a lot more strict on noise levels from the exhaust. 

However, when I was looking up the rules for NASA American Iron series racing, they did say specifically that the exhaust had to exit entirely behind the driver, so I think it would only be an issue if I were to race it, which I don't think I will. 

In 1984, California law stated  side exhaust cannot exit in front of the rear side glass. A vehicle would not pass the CHP Referee Station inspection if the side exhaust exited in front of the rear side glass.  Have not checked to see if the Calif ruling on side exhaust has changed. I doubt it. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 11:59am
Doing a little digging on this and it seems like it's not in front of the rear glass but has to be "behind the passenger compartment". The Rosch Mustang kits for side exhaust were legal to install in California. They are just below the rear glass but as far back as you could go. I believe yours is too far forward and may draw attention of law enforcement. If it was all the way back like the Rosch Mustang, I doubt they could  bring up and charges.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 12:58pm
Here's a kit car Kellison/ Astra Gt car I owned in the 70's. If I showed attitude driving it today, I'd be getting a fix-it ticket in Calif. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 4:59pm
Don't know, but this is for sale in California:
Is there a double standard on the rules???
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2021 at 5:28pm
I am confused by exit issues. If the car was sold before 84, the car is exempt. I had two issues, one seat belts, and the other smog. All i had to do was install a closed circuit emissions air cleaner, which was below the limit of repairs set by law. Once checked any other issues were called exempt, once proven attempts were done.

I had custom exhaust on my 73 Javelin, which placed the exhaust tips right under the back of my front seats. Which was common with the central California street seen with college aged drivers.

Never had any issues with policd while driving all the way up til sold in the mid 90s, other than an occasional speeding ticket.

You could do a Challenger T/A type exit, where the pipe is angled back and protrudes out about 2". This way it can give an optical illusion of the exahaust is far enough back.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Don't know, but this is for sale in California:
Is there a double standard on the rules???
I wonder about exceptions to the rule.....grey market cars? Ambassadors can bring any car to the USA with diplomatic immunity?  

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Jun/21/2021 at 6:18pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 10:59am
I tried to find the exact regulation wording on this but got lost in the government rabbit hole. Can someone reference this regulation?
It seems very ambiguous as to what is or is not legal. If it turns out to be a regulation on just the interpretation of an enforcement officer, then if you have examples of modern cars, are polite explaining you were following the rules as explained to you. I doubt there would be repercussions as long as there was a proper exhaust system that meets the noise/pollution regulations that seem very clear.
DAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 3:17pm
That is a super sexy setup.: )

Here in NorCal just driving to shows and club events you should have no problem unless it ends up to be ridiculously loud. 

Great fabrication work!

Regards

Dono 

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2021 at 5:30pm
You don't state in your profile where in Calif you live. On a Fri or Sat night you don't want to be driving with a visible vehicle code violation because it is a reason to pull you over. Law enforcement for the past few years has been cracking down on sideshows and illegal drifting between Oakland and Union City. 

California Vehicle Code- Division 12. Equipment of Vehicles Article 2. Exhaust Systems 27152.
The exhaust gases from a motor vehicle shall not be directed to the side of the vehicle between 2 feet and eleven feet above the ground.

Makes sense. If you are sitting at a red light in traffic you shouldn't be breathing exhaust, nor should the people in the car next to you. Can't tell you how many time I've had to roll up my windows in that situation.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic