TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin side exit exhaust tunnel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin side exit exhaust tunnel
    Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 9:45am
Even though my Javelin will likely not see any serious amount of track time or be low enough to necessitate it, after seeing the Penske-Donohue Javelin exhaust exiting halfway into the rocker, it's something I've wanted to do, so here are the pics from the saga.

I'm not planning on having a full cage as this will be a street car, so the idea of just having a sheet metal tunnel like the original made me a little uncomfortable in terms of structure. I ended up going with an 1/8" wall 1"x3" rectangular tubing structure that can be tied to the front and rear subframes, and in theory allowing a full tunnel while also acting as subframe connectors. 

Enough jabbering, here are the pics.

First cut on the driver side. It was surprisingly difficult to cut a straight line over a 3d landscape with different heights and angles messing with your perception

An early teaser of the hoped result. The tip will probably be pulled a bit closer to the body when it's all said and done.

The dimensions and location of the opening was based on the best estimate I could get from pictures of the real deal, and in conjunction with the exhaust pipe/tips I'm planning on using

Some temporary braces put in place just in case any structure becomes compromised in the process

The box structure itself in progress. Built to be around 12" wide and fit a Spintech low profile sportsman 3000. 

1972 Javelin
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 9:57am

A piece of 1x3 laid flat over the main structure. This is the side that will butt up against the inside rocker, and the exhaust will go underneath that 1x3

On the opposite end, a 45 degree notch is cut and boxed in so it can run parallel to the tunnel itself

Through the magic of the internet timelines, the passenger side is at the same stage

At this point, I boxed in part of the cars structure that had to be cut out to fit the structure itself

1972 Javelin
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 10:19am
 I have always liked the look of exhaust pipes that exit in front of the rear wheels and fit into the rocker like that similar to stock cars, that will be cool when done!

bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 10:40am
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but have you checked if that is legal for a street car in your area? One of the tips is exiting under the door. You've done some excellent work there and I would hate to see it go for naught.
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 11:26am
I'm in California, and to my knowledge the exhaust exit location isn't explicitly said to have to be behind the driver, though there are new ish laws that are a lot more strict on noise levels from the exhaust. 

However, when I was looking up the rules for NASA American Iron series racing, they did say specifically that the exhaust had to exit entirely behind the driver, so I think it would only be an issue if I were to race it, which I don't think I will. 

1972 Javelin
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 11:30am
Also, Mercedes built a production car called the SLR as recently as 2010 with an exhaust that exited from the front fenders, so hopefully I'm in the clear.

1972 Javelin
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 4:39pm
Thumbs Up Good to hear! Party on Garth. Smile
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2021 at 1:30pm
looks great cant wait to see more!
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 7:05pm
Nice work. Looking forward to more progress! Clap
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2021 at 3:40pm
Nice work. Do you have air conditioning and cats?   

I had side-exit exhaust dumping in front of rear tires on my '74 Javelin AMX. With the windows down, got exhaust pulled into the cabin - not good for your health. Something about the shape of the Javelin seems to pull air in from the sides & rear. Not sure if it's worse due to the stock rear spoiler, but had to drive with the windows up … and my A/C hasn't worked for years. I changed to a full exhaust with tailpipes and it's noticeably better.   Seems best with all 4 windows down.

Hope this helps, RD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic