TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin or AMX AM 8 Track Radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin or AMX AM 8 Track Radio
    Posted: Nov/23/2021 at 8:40pm
Note: Radio and faceplate here are mismatched.

This Factory AM 8 track radio is correct for 1970 but will also fit in a 1968 or 1969 AMX or Javelin buy using the 68-69 faceplate. Just needs a rear support bracket to bolt to the stud on the back of the radio. Radio includes the NOS knobs that are on it.  

The the faceplate (bezel) is correct for 1968-69 as you can see it has the square corners. The underside chrome of the bezel (the area you can't see when installed) has some light pitting.   

AM radio and the light work, but I don't own any 8 track tapes to check the tape player so I can't test it. If anyone is interested in this setup and wants me to test the tape player before purchasing just send me a tape and I'll test it. 

$1,000.00 Shipped 
Nut on the back is intended for rear support bracket.
Wires have not been cut or butchered up. 

Thanks
   Dennis    
Home of:
Craig Breedlove' "AERO AMX"
SS/AMX #9(THE BIG MENACE)
1970 AMX 416,EFI,5 speed(Mine)   
1970 Javelin 401, 727 (My Wife's)
1972 Gremlin Autocross Project.
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 1:09pm
That is a great looking radio package!! Can you elaborate at all about the tape player support bracket? I see a different part number for 68 vs 69. Do you know why? Do 70's require a support bracket?
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 4spd since 1975
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 4spd since 2019
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2021 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

That is a great looking radio package!! Can you elaborate at all about the tape player support bracket? I see a different part number for 68 vs 69. Do you know why? Do 70's require a support bracket?

A couple of years ago I was told (by a very knowledgeable AMC guy here on the forum) that 68 and 69 radios had an angled support bracket attached to the bottom surface of the radio housing where 1970 used the tab at the back (like the one pictured here) to attach the support bracket to.

I don't know of any reason that this radio/faceplate combination would no work in any 1968 or 1969 AMX or Javelin. If it's just a mater of a simple rear support bracket that would be an easy thing to make. 

If I am wrong about fitment I hope someone will be along to correct me here as I do not want to mislead anyone! 

Thanks
  Dennis   

Home of:
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2021 at 11:38am
This help? This is on my 70, 8 track installed, if you notice the indentation underneath the radio on the bracket, that is where the an/amfm mounts on a 70. Different mounting on the 8 track.

Edited by rodhhrod - Nov/25/2021 at 11:42am
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by rodhhrod rodhhrod wrote:

This help? This is on my 70, 8 track installed, if you notice the indentation underneath the radio on the bracket, that is where the an/amfm mounts on a 70. Different mounting on the 8 track. 

Thanks for posting the picture Rod, it is very helpful!! 

As they say, one picture is worth a thousand words or something like that. 

I haven't seen one in a car for a while now, so that definitely helps me understand how it would mount. Someone could just bend up a simple bracket (like the one in your picture) to help support the weight of the radio unit if they put it in a 68 or 69 AMX or Javelin.

Dennis   

Edited by THE MENACE - Dec/02/2021 at 6:14pm
Home of:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic