TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

IVR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mr AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IVR
    Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 3:05pm
I'm assuming my IVR is bad if 12 volts are read on both the 12v side, as well as the 5v side? Should 12v be coming off the ground side of the IVR when tested to the car body?   All cleaned. Both gauges move when grounded. Thx in advance.   If bad, I'll try one of those solid state ones. 1969 AMX 140 speedometer.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 3:17pm
How are you measuring it? Your measurements suggest the IVR is stuck on. If that were the case, it is likely both the temp and fuel gauges are pinned at full scale most of the time.

The IVR is basically an on-off switch. When on, the output is at 12V. When off, it's at 0V. It typically oscillates at about 2 cycles per second. Depending upon your measurement technique, results can vary, but you will never see 5V on the output; that is an average based on the duty cycle.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Mr AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 4:31pm
With the ground wire off, I measured the IN to Grd, 12v. Then OUT to Grd. Again 12v. Yes, the coolant is pinned. I know the fuel gauge once worked in another vehicle years ago. Now a diff tank/sender. Fuel moves up when grounded. I didn't have the fuel hooked up when the coolant pinned. Would it be correct to have the IVR 12v instrument panel pin wired to the fuse panel, 10a fuse, switched?
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Mr AMX Mr AMX wrote:

Would it be correct to have the IVR 12v instrument panel pin wired to the fuse panel, 10a fuse, switched?

Don't have my manual handy, but I think it runs of a 4A fuse, the smallest fuse on the fuse panel.

An IVR is a very crude way of regulating. I changed to a solid state regulator long time ago. First one piece but it didn't held up in warm weather. They get warmer the more current they have to deliver and the more volts they have to drop and stop working when too hot. They resume once cooled down. I than used one for each gauge (a bit of trace cutting and some extra litlle wires involved) and that has been reliable since. They just get warm now, not hot.
Mr AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 5:35pm
Sounds like I need a smaller fuse, new fuel sender, new IVR
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2013 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Peter Jan Peter Jan wrote:

An IVR is a very crude way of regulating. I changed to a solid state regulator long time ago. First one piece but it didn't held up in warm weather. They get warmer the more current they have to deliver and the more volts they have to drop and stop working when too hot. They resume once cooled down.
The solid state IVRs that use a linear regulator (typically the 7805 3 pin regulator) will get hot because they are very inefficient. The designs using switching regulators are much better, stay cooler, but are more complex.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 5:53am
[QUOTE=bigbad69]The solid state IVRs that use a linear regulator (typically the 7805 3 pin regulator) will get hot because they are very inefficient. The designs using switching regulators are much better, stay cooler, but are more complex.
[/QUOTE
True, a bit unefficient, especially when they have to regulate down from ~14,5 Volt with engine running, but if their duty is split over two 7805CV, there really is no chance for overheating whatsoever. I remember I left the choke in, because it already dropped a bit of tension and made work a bit easier on the regulators.
IVR's do the job too, but with electronic regulator(s), the gauge reading is always spot on. IVR's can be a bit off depending on temperature and mechanical tolerances (no two IVR's are the same), that's why I choose for an 'electronic' solution. Plus I'm an electronics guy and sometimes can't leave well enough alone Big smile.

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 7:09am
The instrument regulator is kind of misleading description. It's not a regulator in the common sense of the word. A true regulator will keep a constant voltage on it's output. What the instrument regulator does is pulse the battery voltage by opening and closing contacts. If you take one apart you'll see there is a heating element wound around a bi-metallic strip. It will deflect when heated, which opens the contacts. This stops current flowing through the element allowing the bi-metallic strip to cool, which closes the contacts again. This cycle happens over and over at a rate of about once or twice per second.

The good thing about that is if there's an overload condition (too little resistance) the time the contacts are closed is extremely short because the element will get hotter and cause more immediate and longer deflection.

Using a true voltage regulator, either liner or switching, is a mistake. If there is an overload condition these regulators will supply as much current as they are designed for which could cause wiring damage.

-Steve-
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Using a true voltage regulator, either liner or switching, is a mistake. If there is an overload condition these regulators will supply as much current as they are designed for which could cause wiring damage.
There are designs that have short circuit protection as well as reverse input voltage protection in case the battery is hooked in backwards. Either condition can fry the regulator.

The advantage of the 7805 regulator is it's a simple solution that can be done by most car guys (or gals) for a few dollars. The disadvantage is it's not a great solution and may fail, so it may have to be done several times on the same car.

The mechanical IVRs (really a current limiter rather than a voltage regulator) were a simple and robust design that worked for decades. As Rebel Machine pointed out, they have natural short circuit protection and they are tolerant to reverse voltage. They are somewhat inaccurate by their nature, but the gauges they operate are also based on the same bi-metal technology, so the whole system is not particularly accurate, but good enough to serve the purpose. The only real problem with the mechanical IVR 40 to 50 years later is their availability, especially the ones that are built into the gauge.
Mr AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 11:54am
Maybe I should use the Radio Shack 7805 as a tester. If it works, then purchase the solid state. If it doesn't, then I only lost a couple of bucks and gained yet another issue...or question.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic