TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

It's Electric. woogy woogy woogy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's Electric. woogy woogy woogy.
    Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 9:02am
Finally heard the 69 AMX startup the other day. 
Kind of bittersweet after all this time. Open headers on a street car are louder than expected.  
Still having some issues, hoping to get an answer or two here. 

Cluster is half functional. speedo works, oil light, fuel, and water temp gauge are in working order. 
but i have no hi-beam indicator, no turn signals, but have 4 ways. 

Yes, ive messed with the ivr. Had a new one on it, and it spiked the temp gauge, put the old one back in and things went back to normal. 
Yes, ive replaced the turn signal flasher(s) (tungsaw) and have no change. But the 4 ways do work! 
Unfortunately the horns are not working either.  
Lastly, the tach isn't working. it does flutter slightly every now and then, but no solid movement, so i know that it is picking up a signal from the msd tach adapter. 

Point me in the right directions... please

TIA. 
AJ 
-Broke 'N' $till $pendin' Racing
ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 1:14pm
Update: horn works now. 
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2021 at 8:54pm
If your tach is bouncing off of zero irregularly, it's probably just the vibration from the open headers. One of my cars had a working tach, now it's not, but it does flutter off zero at a very rough idle. Look at the tach wiring or maybe the tach itself. Unfortunately, I don't know how to test the tach. If anybody else has a suggestion, let's hear it.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 5:28am
I guess i should mention that last summer, it would work, but only to about 1800-2k rpm. Its sat since this time last year, and i don't think ive done anything that would prohibit the tach working at all. 

The turn signals still have me baffled, 4 ways work just fine. And i know that the flasher isn't bad, being that i switched the one behind the cluster with the 4 way flasher, trying to rule out that as an issue. 

Surprised that no one else has chimed in. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 7:24am
To test a tachometer.
If you have a very old battery charger, you can test a tachometer. The old chargers, or DIY, put out a 60 hz signal. Some older chargers put out a very "poor" signal and you sometimes have to use a diode to clean that up. + to all the tach wires but the black or ground, black or case ground to the charger -. Readings on tachometers:
4 cylinder - 3600 RPM
6 cylinder - 2400 RPM
8 cylinder - 1800 RPM

This post should be moved to Electrical.

Edited by Trader - Apr/11/2021 at 7:47am
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 10:20am
Might want to double check that you have a good body to engine ground.  Usually a braided wire down by the passenger side motor mount but it can be anywhere you choose.  

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2021 at 2:06pm
The original OEM Faria made tach MAY not be compatible with your MSD tach adapter which could explain the low reading. The engine to body ground wire would not affect the tach reading as the tach is not dependent on the body ground. You may want to check with MSC and let them know you have a Faria taut band, series wired tach.
Someone with an audio signal generator, like an electronics repair shop, can test your tach using a 60Hz test tone. As indicated by Trader, a 60Hz signal will provide a reading of 1800 rpm. 30Hz 900 rpm, 120Hz 3600 rpm, etc. The signal generator should be set for about 6 to 8 volts output on square wave.

As for the high beam indicator, check to make sure the bulb, bulb socket, the copper lands and the pins on the printed circuit board a clean. The pins should also be tight to the PCB. They could be tack soldered to the PCB copper trace if needed. The high beam bulb is fed off the white wire going into the cluster plug. If your high beams are working then the white wire should have 12 volts on it and that should make it's way to the bulb in the cluster.

Do both the green turn signal indicator lights work when you turn on the 4 way flashers ? I'm sure you know that there's a separate flasher for the turn signals and that's fed off the switched side of the ignition switch through the fuse panel. The fuse is the 14 amp Accessory fuse.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2021 at 4:32am
So, i put a piece of 1/0 with copper ends from the front of my motor mount to the sway bar bolt. cleaned everything up so it was shiny and clean before i put it all together. 
Plus my driver side is hard mounted steel motor mount. 
Car would start and run, that was before i added in the 1/0 cable. 
I know electric is tricky. So i added the cable as reassurance. 

ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2021 at 4:43am
I have read that other people have used the tach adapter on the 69 (just here on the forum) without issue. I'm thinking the issue lies further down in the tach, not so much with the tach adapter. 
My reasoning is because it didn't work very well when i parked it a year ago, as stated i'd be lucky to see 2k on the tach. but i'm not ready to give up on the stock cluster and wedge a 5" rpm guage anywhere in here. she still looks too good! 

Awesome! Now to find someone around that has an audio signal generator. 

Your a pamphlet of solid information. I appreciate it. I'll be sure to go home and check the white wire and bulb tonight. Kinda feel a little slumped for letting this one get by me. 

The turn signal indicators on the dash, as well as all 4 corners of the car work when the 4 ways are on. 
Yes, i have moved flashers around trying to see if that was the issue and batted nothing. the 4 way indicators are always a go, ruling out that i have a bad tungsaw. 

All my fuses are good, i through a smidge of die-electric grease in there while checking each one, made sure they all have good contact. 
I'm wondering if the part (don't know what to call it) inside the steering column has seen its better days?
I'm going to check and see if i have power running to the turn signal selector this evening, hoping to help rule out said part as the issue. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic