TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Issue With Aftermarket Water Temp Sensor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2022 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

are the gauges  good brand name or cheap Chinese ones? that will tell you right there if they are metric. 

It’s Glowshift. Pretty popular brand. 

................... have you taken the time to contact the manufacturer with this issue?

Sure did. They’re sending a new sensor just in case, but they confirmed sizing of their sensor. The rest—like what thread type the intake manifold is, and what thread type the sensor is, remains unknown. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2022 at 4:06pm

I have a brand new factory style replacement that threads in all the way, but I can’t even get the threads started on the new aftermarket sensor. The threads look fine on both. I took both of the sensors to the hardware store near my shop and the factory style threaded all the way into a fitting they had at the store, and the aftermarket one only threaded about three or four times before the taper wouldn’t let it go any tighter by hand.

If you got three or four turns on the new sensor into an 1/8" NPT fitting, chances are it's 1/8" NPT.  If it was metric you'd been lucky to get one.

The problem seems to be that the threads are slightly oversize on the new sensor so it won't start.  It happens.  There's two ways to go at this, re-tap the hole in the  manifold (make the taper larger) or recut the thread on the sensor (make the taper smaller).  Rather than beat yourself up, measure the minor diameter of the new sensor threads about halfway up the threads.   Re-drill your manifold to this dimension and re-tap it with an 1/8" NPT tap.  Should screw right in.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I have a brand new factory style replacement that threads in all the way, but I can’t even get the threads started on the new aftermarket sensor. The threads look fine on both. I took both of the sensors to the hardware store near my shop and the factory style threaded all the way into a fitting they had at the store, and the aftermarket one only threaded about three or four times before the taper wouldn’t let it go any tighter by hand.

If you got three or four turns on the new sensor into an 1/8" NPT fitting, chances are it's 1/8" NPT.  If it was metric you'd been lucky to get one.

The problem seems to be that the threads are slightly oversize on the new sensor so it won't start.  It happens.  There's two ways to go at this, re-tap the hole in the  manifold (make the taper larger) or recut the thread on the sensor (make the taper smaller).  Rather than beat yourself up, measure the minor diameter of the new sensor threads about halfway up the threads.   Re-drill your manifold to this dimension and re-tap it with an 1/8" NPT tap.  Should screw right in.

Thank you--if my replacement sensor has the same issue that will likely be the route I end up taking.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2022 at 11:32pm
I was able to get the new sensor in. Which is a 1/8 NPT size. I do think there’s still a possibility the hole was BSPT, but either way, NPT taper is more aggressive and should seal it just fine. “Disco lights” are good to go! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic