TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Isoclamp - what is this madness you speak of

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 5:43pm
Snow, ice and salt are a curse upon those who must drive in the North ... especially the salt and brine.
Regamble1969 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by danleym danleym wrote:

A lot of those posts have probably been mine. I've been learning along the way. I have a 1980 Spirit, which had an Isoclamp AMC 15 in it. The drawing linked above is very similar to the AMC version. I didn't even realize there was any other mounting system until I started dropping a normal AMC 20 in, then realized the parts didn't all match up. Hasn't been a big deal, but I did have to get some new shock plates and shorten my leaf spring centering pins. I suppose I could have swapped the perches from the 15 to the 20 and kept the isoclamp, but that sounded like more work. I don't know much about performance or longevity of the setups side by side, I only switched because I was changing to a 20 and the one I found was not set up for the isoclamp stuff.

I, like you, am learning my way through the new AMC ownership lexicon and idiosyncrasies. Per my usual way, I saw something I didn't know what it was and I just had to ask. The mighty Google God wasn't any real help but I knew the answer would be on this site.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:01am
So, is this "cushion" on the perch only, or does it run the full length of the spring?  Can the cushions be added to a standard leaf spring?  I live in Arizona, so salt and moisture are not an issue.  I'd love to reduce NVH on my Javelins though.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 12:06pm
Should be 2 pieces. Spring is sandwiched between perch and shock plate.
danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 5:43pm
I can't get to them right now, but I can post pics of the ones I took off. heck, I could even send them your way if you're interested. The hardest part would be you would need new perches on your axle, because the mounting surface of the perch is different. I could cut mine off my old axle, too, cause I'm about to scrap it anyways.
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 7:15pm

I can't get to them right now, but I can post pics of the ones I took off. heck, I could even send them your way if you're interested. The hardest part would be you would need new perches on your axle, because the mounting surface of the perch is different. I could cut mine off my old axle, too, cause I'm about to scrap it anyways.

I really appreciate the offer, but my car doesn't have them. I'd never heard the term before and was overwhelmed with curiosity to know what they are. In fact, until this post I actually didn't know if my car did or didn't have them. Lol.
danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2022 at 7:24pm
Sorry Regamble, I should've been more clear- CamJam expressed some interest in exploring putting them on his Javelin, so that message was meant for him. CamJam, if you're interested, pay for shipping and I'll send my isoclamp set up your way. I don't like having a bunch of stuff in my garage and they're probably just going in the trash anyway, I'd rather see someone use them.
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 1:23am
Rather than bolting the leaf spring directly to the axle metal-on-metal with U-bolts, the spring is first clamped into a rectangular rubber bushing that surrounds the spring and then that bushing is clamped to the axle. That rubber bushing is called an Iso-clamp. Almost all luxury cars with leaf spring rear suspensions used them. 

The difference in felt and heard roughness from the road in an AMC with a conventional clamped rear axle and an Iso-clamped rear axle is profound. Our unitized bodies transmit all sorts of road noise and small shocks throughout the body structure unless they are first isolated by the suspension with rubber. Springs and shocks (even soft ones) are great for taking out the big bumps, but not so great at taking out the small ones. Rubber bushings are needed there. That is where your front suspension strut rod bushings and your rear suspension Iso-clamps come in. 

Drive a Hornet sometime and then drive a Concord. Concords are WAY quieter and smoother despite having stiffer springs than a Hornet because Concords have Iso-clamps while Hornets don't, and Concords have more compliant strut rod bushings. 

Concords drive like butter. There is no smoother or quieter AMC. They are quiet even by modern car standards. I love my Concord. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 1:31am

Sorry Regamble, I should've been more clear- CamJam expressed some interest in exploring putting them on his Javelin, so that message was meant for him. CamJam, if you're interested, pay for shipping and I'll send my isoclamp set up your way. I don't like having a bunch of stuff in my garage and they're probably just going in the trash anyway, I'd rather see someone use them.

Ooohhh, gotcha! No worries.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 9:26am
FYI
In the salt belt madness area. A piece of roof shingle top end without the grit works well for an "isoclamp". No rotting of spring perches or leaf spring cracking.
Roof tar felt paper is also quite good for gas tank straps. for the same reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic