TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Intermittent/Delay W/W Switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittent/Delay W/W Switch
    Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 6:41pm
  An o

Edited by Hogman - Aug/09/2021 at 8:36am
Hogman
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 8:02pm
Yes, you need the box and the switch. Simple Motorcraft setup.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 8:20pm
I put the MOTOCRAFT branded unit in my 82 S/X4 simple.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Hogman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Edited by Hogman - Aug/09/2021 at 8:35am
Hogman
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 9:00pm
You should have a switch that rotates from center ( off), left rheostat for intermittent. Delay box should have 2 connectors. One plug to body harness, and the other to the switch .
Hogman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2021 at 4:19am
THANKS HEAVY! APPRECIATE YOUR REPLY MY BROTHER, BUTT, I'M PASSING ON THIS. I REALLY DID BELIEVE EVERYTHING I NEEDED WAS THERE, And Now it Sounds Like it's NOT, & I'd HAVE to TRY & Track down Other Stuff..... NO Energy OR $$$$ For That right now! I Go in for my First Round of SHOTS into My Shoulder in a Couple of Hours, so POSSIBLY, After I Finish The Year, I'll be OK To do Stuff again....  (SORRY About the Partial Caps.....)

HOPE ALL is Well My Friend!

THANKS AGAIN!!

ME
Hogman
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2021 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Hogman Hogman wrote:

THANKS For The Reply 73. So, that GREEN THING In the SECOND/THIRD Pics, Is NOT The BOX??? Sorry I'm Ignorant about this, & Truth be Told, I'd NEVER Entertained the Thought of These Delay Wipers until I Ran in to an Old buddy a week ago. He just asked Me to Cover His Cost, & It was Mine. 
Oh well, Never had them Before....  

THANKS ALL OF You For Your ANSWERS....

Yes, all you need are the specifically-to-delay-units switch and the green delay box. Sometimes the box is black, sometimes it's red, I've even seen a clear one.

Make sure the switch or box is grounded.  If the box has a metal bracket, bolt it to something metal.  If the box does not have a bracket, ensure the switch is touching something metal or add a ground strap to the switch.  You can tell a delay switch as it will turn BOTH ways. Left should have two distinct detents for low and high speed.  If you turn it RIGHT of center, it will have NO detents and that will just vary the delay time.  Delay time varies anywhere from 3 sec to 15 secs, I've had other boxes that do 5 to 20.

If you hook it all up and the wiper work but the delay doesn't, I'll tell you how to disassemble the box to clean the contacts on the relay. I've added delay wipers to my yellow Hornet and my '70 Gremlin.

Edited by Fluffy73 - Jul/27/2021 at 4:53am
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Hogman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2021 at 6:01am

Originally posted by Hogman Hogman wrote:

Yes, all you need are the specifically-to-delay-units switch and the green delay box. Sometimes the box is black, sometimes it's red, I've even seen a clear one.

Make sure the switch or box is grounded.  If the box has a metal bracket, bolt it to something metal.  If the box does not have a bracket, ensure the switch is touching something metal or add a ground strap to the switch.  You can tell a delay switch as it will turn BOTH ways. Left should have two distinct detents for low and high speed.  If you turn it RIGHT of center, it will have NO detents and that will just vary the delay time.  Delay time varies anywhere from 3 sec to 15 secs, I've had other boxes that do 5 to 20.

If you hook it all up and the wiper work but the delay doesn't, I'll tell you how to disassemble the box to clean the contacts on the relay. I've added delay wipers to my yellow Hornet and my '70 Gremlin.

Edited by Hogman - Aug/09/2021 at 8:34am
Hogman
Hogman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2021 at 8:07am
Well

Edited by Hogman - Aug/09/2021 at 8:33am
Hogman
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 4:06pm
There is a Coupe specific switch and control, if that is from a 4 door sedan or wagon, it will not connect to your existing wiring harness......not all Matador's are the same.  Both the switch and governor are unique for Matador Coupe.....this is for all years 74-78.

As other have said, in general if the switch turns from both left and right of the center detent, then it is for intermittent wipers.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic