TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Interior Paint Color

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interior Paint Color
    Posted: May/27/2023 at 2:25pm
Hi - does anyone know what this interior powder blue color paint code/name (metal painted dash) is and if there is a source to find some? 73 Matador...
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2023 at 4:05pm
There should be a plate riveted to the edge of the drivers door - there should be an interior code on it. Post a photo of that and someone here can probably decode.

Also, Eddie Stakes website has a lot of this type of info:

Looks like DuPont 10037L blue flat 
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2023 at 5:01pm
the issue is that the OE paint, and the door tag codes were for lacquer, and it didn't cross over to enamel.  Is anyone is making lacquer paint anymore?  There's no demand for lacquer since it's been almost 40 years since GM stopped using it, and they were the last major user.  And the only reason they used it for so long was because they had existing plants that were set up for lacquer, which didn't need drying booths like enamel, and it's not like you can easily sneak them into an existing assembly line.

Amark appears to have gone thru a lot of work getting the 68-70 colors mixed in enamel.  
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2023 at 6:45pm
Did some interior painting on my Machine last fall. Similar color to yours.

I had the original matched at the local paint jobber. Think they started with a stock Hyundai color and they went from there. Might have a bit more metallic than stock but it looks pretty good.

-Steve-
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2023 at 4:08pm
You can find the paint code (chip charts) at www.autocolorlibrary.com. ;  You used to be able to buy lacquer in spray cans but the source I used to use is not defunct.  Some paint colors translate to enamel so you might get your local paint supplier to provide it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 3:48pm
Some exterior lacquer paints 100% do translate to enamels.  But, I'm not aware of any of the 68-70 AMC interior colors directly crossing over, as listed in the original books, because they were never used in enamel.  The reason the interior paints were lacquer only, was that they would air dry in a minute on an assembly line- since you can't run soft, or plastic, parts thru a drying oven; which you would need to do with enamel.  So there would be no reason to reformulate an interior only lacquer color to enamel.  Which is what I believe Amark had to do on his own.  Hopefully that makes sense.

The bottom line is to just find something you like, that's close enough, and spray the entire dash.  Even if you had the exact match it's not going to match something that's seen 50 years of sunlight, plus mixing variance, to allow for a perfect match on a small area.  It's impossible to get a perfect match on a silver metallic paint for a new car that doesn't require blending.  at least from my experience.
The Rebel Alliance View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2023 at 1:26am
thanks for all the replies - the paint is pretty good except for that little bit that's peeled -  I may try to find something to try my best to blend - it's just such an odd flat it will be hard to. Here's my door tag.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2023 at 6:00am
Yeah, don't use glossy paint for interior.

-Steve-
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2023 at 9:11am
Originally posted by The Rebel Alliance The Rebel Alliance wrote:

thanks for all the replies - the paint is pretty good except for that little bit that's peeled -  I may try to find something to try my best to blend - it's just such an odd flat it will be hard to. Here's my door tag.

Wow!!!! Super low body and sequence numbers. Thumbs Up
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
The Rebel Alliance View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2023 at 11:57am
is this like the 560th 73 Matador made out of some 30k?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic