TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Intake question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intake question
    Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 3:30pm
I'm trying to give the 390 in my 1970 Ambassador 4 door a little bit more zip. This car is a cruiser (has 2.87s in it), so I'm looking for torque more than upper RPM horsepower. I'm swapping in a small Summit cam (K8600) as I already have it. I'm also installing 72-up heads to lower the compression some. I plan on running free flow manifolds to duals and might try the Edelbrock AVS2 650 carb. Now here's the question:

I was planning on running a Performer intake, but found in my stash o' parts an R4b. Since I want down-low power, would I be better off staying with the Performer? With 390 cubes, does it not really matter much which one I go with? Just want the one that will perform the best (or better, at least) in this situation.

67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
(2) 71 Hornets (1 SC/360)
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 3:36pm
I am a R4B fan so I would go with that one.
garland performce View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garland performce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 6:34pm
R4B is bigger performance intake than the performer bigger runners and plenum 
The performer intake will make more low end power and torque
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by garland performce garland performce wrote:

R4B is bigger performance intake than the performer bigger runners and plenum 
The performer intake will make more low end power and torque
As someone who has run both, I'm agreeing with this post. 
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2021 at 7:02pm
R4B.  R4B is a real performance manifold and I have run it on 304 and 390.  In my opinion the performer is for somebody upgrading from a 2 barrel.  or one of those fugly spreadbore intakes.

SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2021 at 12:35pm
"Low end torque" is a relative term. If you want more low end torque than a AMC 390 or 401 then you might want to go to a Cummings Diesel...
Seriously, I think people confuse low end torque with throttle response.
One of the most low end torqu-y and throttle responsive engines that I ever built (as measured by my butt dyno) was in my Jeep truck. 401 with 8.3:1 compression ratio, R4B and a Carter AFB from a 343 that flows about 450cfm with Fre-Flow manifolds.  I think the key to throttle response is a smaller carburetor.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

"Low end torque" is a relative term. If you want more low end torque than a AMC 390 or 401 then you might want to go to a Cummings Diesel...
Seriously, I think people confuse low end torque with throttle response.
One of the most low end torqu-y and throttle responsive engines that I ever built (as measured by my butt dyno) was in my Jeep truck. 401 with 8.3:1 compression ratio, R4B and a Carter AFB from a 343 that flows about 450cfm with Fre-Flow manifolds.  I think the key to throttle response is a smaller carburetor.
The book "Performance American Style" stated about the Rebel Machine intake "this heavy breather shows improved torque characteristics to the R4B in the range of 3500 to 5500 rpm." Not sure if this exact word for word quote, but it's close. Also, I don't know if the statement is true or not. I have used the R4B, Performer, AMC 5532, Air Gap, Machine, and Offy 360, although not all on the exact same engine. In my opinion, and you know about opinions, I would think the Performer is probably a bit better than the R4B under 3000 rpm and worse over 4000 rpm. Just my guess.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2021 at 7:46pm
Timing Advance Curve
wrebelmachine View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrebelmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 9:12am
I have had both love the R4B the performer is a decent off road intake. But I will throw this out there if you have a carb that is. Consider a Offenhauser Dual Port. More expensive but way more power than the performer especially down low and really everywhere over the performer. IMO.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 9:33am
Originally posted by wrebelmachine wrebelmachine wrote:

I have had both love the R4B the performer is a decent off road intake. But I will throw this out there if you have a carb that is. Consider a Offenhauser Dual Port. More expensive but way more power than the performer especially down low and really everywhere over the performer. IMO.
Offenhauser made both a square bore Holley type and a Quadrajet spread bore version of the Dual Port for AMC. Which did you have? I have heard that the Quadrajet bolt pattern worked best with those divided runners.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic