TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Info on quick ratio Saginaw Steering Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:54pm
Info on original factory Saginaw boxes.

5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:56pm
WS 6 that's what I forgot...  is the steering box transfer quivalent to the WS  6 unit  ? If not ..... Why not.  Same GM unit....Housing wise. ??? I understand the pitman arm  but Pontiac marketed that
5 AMX's
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 8:35pm
I remember the WS 6 marketing package had a slightly larger front rear sway bar and AR sway bar....perhaps it was lower after the J/X left the market place..

But J/X won TRANS AM...
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 8:38pm
Off topic, but back to the Parts Catalogue for clarification please.
Section 10.360-1 Power Steering Kit, every listing for part numbers has "LPS" in the description, including Series 80, Ambassador, that did not come with manual steering to my knowledge.
LPS cannot mean "Lack Power Steering".
Thinking is it's exactly opposite by the parts:
LPS - ? Power Steering, Leveraged or maybe Luxury??? 
WPS - Without Power Steering
Blank - Common to both
The steering box bodies were very similar. Parts Manual does not break manual vs power steering boxes down by sections, so it seems logical that many parts must interchange.

Edited by Trader - Mar/13/2022 at 8:40pm
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 8:49pm
IMHO...  Its not off topic.  It's on Topic.... Thank you.  This is a knowledge transfer  ..I don't want to blindly go buy something anymore. 

Off topic.... my Chevy Friend is going to help me cross reference w GM interchange manual. And help me with my 401.

Off Topic.  And heartbreaking.  My Ford Friend  is not in a good place before he could share and transfer his knowledge....please  pray for him Brilliant. 
5 AMX's
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 8:57pm
Love this story.. Off topic.... Roger was so Brilliant.... I pulled up in my ride....He was sitting in the pub at the pub.... 

He said ...you have a vacuum leak....  He was sitting in the pub first seat by the Window.... I said who are you  slick ????   He was right 

I found out how brilliant he really was/ is. S.
5 AMX's
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 9:47pm
Thank you Roger .....I can now repair/ replace 71 - 4  AMX  Screens 

5 AMX's
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 9:58pm
Roger was a SHELBY giy
5 AMX's
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 10:45pm
Didn't I read in another thread that someone rebuilt a ps box to quick ratio with guts from a 90's jeep box? 
javguy
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2022 at 5:24am
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic