TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Info on quick ratio Saginaw Steering Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

You can just buy one:
Maybe some guidance on the parts manual here:
"LPS" in the parts listings with vs without. My thinking "LPS" was power steering and parts with no "LPS" were for manual steering.
The LHD and RHD are pretty self explanatory.
Please correct this if wrong.

LPS is “less power steering” and WPS is “with power steering”
AMO Newsletter Editor
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 6:11pm
there was no quick ratio option for PS.  As said.  And as said, if you want a quicker ratio, there are rebuilders that will redo a factory box with the quicker internals.  
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:06pm
Thx. Beggs question.  What was the ratio on the manual unit?  

I saw one on a 73 that was being stripped for parts. Much smaller unit 
 Obviously....

Costs for replacement are in alignment.... ratio is important.... and difference in unit 

I'm going to be spending more time working on my ride.... then driving it at the moment.... Find by me...

THX Scott 

5 AMX's
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:13pm
If the manual unit went through 73 at least why wasn't it listed as an option? 

I thought (much younger) it was a cost weight thing.... lol but then I didn't have the money to pull the red interior and 4 speed.... 
5 AMX's
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:14pm
That one was a 71... Red interior. The other was a 73  blk.
5 AMX's
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 5_AMXS 5_AMXS wrote:

Thx. Beggs question.  What was the ratio on the manual unit?  

I saw one on a 73 that was being stripped for parts. Much smaller unit 
 Obviously....

Costs for replacement are in alignment.... ratio is important.... and difference in unit 

I'm going to be spending more time working on my ride.... then driving it at the moment.... Find by me...

THX Scott 

There were 3 manual units that I remember from the AMX and Javelin years. 24:1, 6 turns lock to lock, 20:1, 5 turns, and quick ratio 16:1, 4 turns. 24:1 was on most standard vehicles, 20:1 std on AMX, SC/Rambler and SC/360 and some Javelins. 16:1 optional on AMX and Javelin. Not sure what year this option ended.
5_AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5_AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:29pm
That's what  I'm trying to say to the group... 

3  different manual  units.... same housings  ? 

Same thing for PS units....  I the the Pontiac unit on my 74 there is a difference..... if it's the same housing  what's different internally ?  Worm gear... ? 

5 AMX's
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by 5_AMXS 5_AMXS wrote:

That's what  I'm trying to say to the group... 

3  different manual  units.... same housings  ? 

Same thing for PS units....  I the the Pontiac unit on my 74 there is a difference..... if it's the same housing  what's different internally ?  Worm gear... ? 

All power units were the same variable ratio after 1970 on AMC cars. It was 3.3 turns and ratio 16:1 to 12.8 or something like that. I'm doing this from memory, but I'm pretty sure the ratios are right. I don't know what the internal differences are. The 1968-9 and maybe before power steering was 4 turns lock to lock and I believe 17.5:1. My memory is a little fuzzy on the exact ratio on that one. I ordered a new 70 AMX that I still have, and I studied everything I could find on the car back then.   
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:41pm
The quick ratio manual box option may have ended in '72. Externally the same as the regular manual box.
The Pontiac quick ratio units are slightly different housing-wise, I believe 3 bolt mount to the subframe instead of 4 bolt for AMC. A number of people put the WS6 Pontiac box in their AMXs. You may need to change the pitman arm when you do that.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2022 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

You can just buy one:
Maybe some guidance on the parts manual here:
"LPS" in the parts listings with vs without. My thinking "LPS" was power steering and parts with no "LPS" were for manual steering.
The LHD and RHD are pretty self explanatory.
Please correct this if wrong.

Interesting that they claim '4 bolt mounting' and then picture the GM 3 bolt casting....
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic