TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

In need of help protecting blasted steel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 4:56pm
 Edited

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Jan/05/2021 at 8:14pm
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 5:22pm
Thank you, but you must have missed my post where I said I am NOT using POR paint. I am only using their prep products to preserve my sheet metal until I can get it to the body people. My last question was to get a recommendation on which primer to eventually use over the POR metal prep.Smile
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2021 at 8:10pm
 It seem I did miss, there is no need to use POR-15 or any metal prep that stuff is just an etch cleaner and will leave the metal open to rust again. Spray can self etch will do, you will probably need to quick blast it again then paint.

J

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Jan/05/2021 at 8:14pm
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2021 at 6:59am
 There is a product called Holdtight 102 that helps prevent rust after media blasting it's good for a couple of days I bought a gallon it was about $65 a few years ago when I had the body blasted. One gallon is the smallest amount available I believe the gallon when mixed with water makes about 55 gallons. 

J
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2021 at 8:19am
bare metal will NOT rust if sandblasted, properly treated with the POR metal prep, and stored indoors. I have parts in my basement still sitting without paint. For years. No rust. Look like they did years ago.

Please don't post if you have no experience with this product.

Epoxy primer.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2021 at 8:57am
 Steve I have some POR-15 metal prep and have used it along with their paint according to directions, like most products there are variables and results can be different. I have a rear axle that's been been blasted with virgin media POR-15 metal prepped and painted with POR-15 within the same day it's been stored inside most of the time and it's rusting! Because you have different results don't assume others who reply are shooting from the hip, I have been restoring cars for over 40 years and post from decades of experience also I do my own tests ahead of use when time permits.

J
71 Javelin AMX O.O. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71 Javelin AMX O.O. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2021 at 9:21am
another way I use POR 15 is as a top coat to metal sealer. You paint on the POR and wait 2 hrs and test the surface. If it's still tacky you then apply your top coat.  The too coat and POR bond and it will be very tough.  I've don this on the intake manifold bolt heads that get the paint messed up during install. Those bolt heads still look good years later.
Steve
orignal owner 
71 Javelin AMX.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2021 at 9:01pm
I believe everyone can agree that bare metal needs to be sealed or it will rust.
The products used have success depend on manufacturers instructions, equipment, environmental factors and the applicators' experience with the product. No one product is going to be perfect everywhere under all circumstances.
My personal experience in a colder humid climate, a faster drying epoxy agent can hairline crack and does not creep into seams. Something you don't want - even if you need to apply the sealer very soon after bare metal is exposed.
So I believe the best advice would be to seek advice from a reputable body shop or member in your area to find out what they successfully use and how they apply it.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2021 at 5:11pm
if you've had parts rust that were treated with metal prep, they did not get enough "wet time" to "eat" the rust from the pits to kill it. Blast and keep wet as long as you can. Small parts should be soaked if they were very rusty prior. Then they can be blasted again.   Again, I have bare metal parts, that were rusty, and have rust pits, that have been sitting for years with no more rust. They have to be kept "wet" for enough time.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2021 at 9:54pm
A friend in the aviation industry recommended ACF-50.   I ordered some, I'll post up my thoughts.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic