TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

IMSA Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2011 at 8:13pm
OK guys, the fun is starting.
First thing on the "To-Do" list a new Cage. Some may be OK with what's in there, but If I flip this thing I simply don't trust what's there. My home track is Road America, it's no place to be messing around with safety.
I also have the Kirkey intermediate road-race seat so I'll be mounting that too.
Question is, What tube Dia. do you guys recommend?

I have the SCCA General Competition Rules & Specifications document. Section 9.4 spells it out the regulations pretty clearly, however I do not know the weight of the finished product, so what tube dia. Do I need to use.
Here is the chart:

GCR Vehicle Weight Tubing Size (inches)/(outer diameter x wall thickness)
Up to 1700 lbs 1.375 x .080

1701 - 2699 lbs 1.500 x .095
1.625 x .080

2700 lbs and up 1.50 x .120
1.750 x .095
2.00 x .080

Do I just go with 2.00 x .080 tube dia and be good no matter what or is that foolish. Do I go for 1.625 x .080? 
Is there a chance a gremlin could weight more than 2,700 pounds?
Probably not but I have no basis to make an educated guess, a stock Gremlin weighs 2,633 pounds per Wikipedia.
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2011 at 10:08am
Originally posted by 343sharpstick 343sharpstick wrote:

OK guys, the fun is starting.
First thing on the "To-Do" list a new Cage. Some may be OK with what's in there, but If I flip this thing I simply don't trust what's there. My home track is Road America, it's no place to be messing around with safety.
I also have the Kirkey intermediate road-race seat so I'll be mounting that too.
Question is, What tube Dia. do you guys recommend?

I have the SCCA General Competition Rules & Specifications document. Section 9.4 spells it out the regulations pretty clearly, however I do not know the weight of the finished product, so what tube dia. Do I need to use.
Here is the chart:

GCR Vehicle Weight Tubing Size (inches)/(outer diameter x wall thickness)
Up to 1700 lbs 1.375 x .080

1701 - 2699 lbs 1.500 x .095
1.625 x .080

2700 lbs and up 1.50 x .120
1.750 x .095
2.00 x .080

Do I just go with 2.00 x .080 tube dia and be good no matter what or is that foolish. Do I go for 1.625 x .080? 
Is there a chance a gremlin could weight more than 2,700 pounds?
Probably not but I have no basis to make an educated guess, a stock Gremlin weighs 2,633 pounds per Wikipedia.

Car should be pretty light.  Interior is gutted, right?  Keeping the 258?  Are the doors gutted?  Lexan or glass? 

Should also check with the shop that's going to install it; they may prefer to use a size that they're used to working with, especially if the weight difference is negligible. 

Also may want to check out other classes; the more classes your car is legal for, the more opportunities you will have for seat time.  My car's cage is 1.75" x .120 DOM; it should be good for NASA and SCCA.

Scott
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2012 at 3:57pm
I've made some small progress. I got the seat located, welded some mounts to the floor, but those will eventually be tied in to the new cage. Fitting a modern seat in a gremlin is a bit tight.

I have 3 inches from the top of my helmet to the top of the cage. the rules state 2 inch minimum. so I can rais the seat a bit if needed.
In addition to that the pedals, shifter, and steering are all where things are comfy.

So much to do!
There's a pile of things that can occur now that the seat is located. Also I should start to mark and remove the electrics and some of the plumbing. There is also some floor work that can be done to clean up some misc. holes and repair a few 'cave-ins' from some off-road excursions, so I've started on that.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Feb/06/2012 at 4:02pm
michiganmadman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiganmadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2012 at 3:50am
Looks like a fun project!
Bobs AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2012 at 8:31am
If someone is interested in the Amos Johnson Team Highball Gremlin it is for sale here in Colorado. It is race ready condition. Contact Jim (303)618-2438

Bob Kenworthy
Charles Smiley View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 6:07pm
IIRC, 2-inch 0.080 is as good as 1-1/2 at 0.120-inch wall.

It's not just the wall thickness - it's also the outside diameter. Together they form the "cross-sectional modulus of interia" of tubing. Also the material type , DOM 1010, 1020 etc. needs to be known too. Look up the various charts or formulas in some racing engineering books. Maybe in Carol Smith's various books.
Charles Smiley View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Smiley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 6:16pm
My 401 4-speed Hornet hatchback weighed 2900-lbs wwith driver and track-ready. So a Gremlin should be under that after you gut it and reinforce it.

Edited by Charles Smiley - Sep/19/2012 at 6:18pm
nosigma View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 3:11pm
As mentioned before I almost bought this car from George Beasley in 1996.  He sent me a great deal of information on how the car was set up, why certain mods were made and how they were made.  I finally found the write up he sent me. 

The write up was done by Ed Allen who owned the car before George.  There is another person, Don who is referenced as having additional information.  Amos Johnson is referenced several times in the write up. 

I also have a Washington post write up on the car racing at summit point.

I am posting it all below as JPG's  If the cars current owner wants a copy of the scans emailed to him let me know.

John

nosigma View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 3:22pm
Here the post article rotated for better viewing.  Sorry about that.

Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 8:55am
This is really great info for the IMSA RS cars.  I believe the Don referenced is Don Knowles who used to own this car.  He may even still be racing.  

You can reach him on Facebook.........  https://www.facebook.com/thedonknowles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic