TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Imported AMC's in Aussie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gopedeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2012 at 4:55am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Yes, no different to importing any other brand-x car really. Reasonabley viable for something that is a little bit desirable and where the $4K or so import bill is not a deal breaker, particularly considering the high aussie dollar at the moment and relatively tough economic conditions in the US. Plenty of bargains to be had over there at the moment. It's also a lot easier to register LHD cars these days so no need to convert.
Here is what would have to be another import, particularly considering that the driver is sitting on the wrong side of the car:

Looks like with its short wheelbase its not sure which way to go!lol. 
AMCAMX390 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCAMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2019 at 7:16pm
Its been a while since this post has been used but it seemed appropriate to rekindle.

In 2012 when I was purchasing my '69 AMX from USA, my son who worked in Denver, mentioned that two of his work colleagues owned AMX's and we exchanged photos etc. Recently he mentioned that one had been sold to Brisbane a few years ago. I quickly put two and two together and said I know that car. Sure enough, it is this one below that was advertised in CarSales.com two years ago at a prestige car dealer in Mascot, Sydney asking $74k. I asked the dealer what is a business like his doing importing and sealing a car like this and he replied that it was a trade for one of their clients. It was only on CarSales.com for about a week then gone. However, about a year later it popped up again on CarSales.com in western Sydney for $64k but again only advertised for a week or so.

So, where is it?

Edited by AMCAMX390 - Apr/10/2019 at 5:40am
Craigie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2019 at 11:01pm
Been an interesting and somewhat sad read .

The strong Aussie $$$ back in 2012 did provide the option to buy a US car and get a good deal done to import .................. if only we did it !! heck of a lot more expensive now.

Also a bit sad looking at the restoration of the blue Levi Gremlin, knowing the owner at the time has now passed. I never met him but he has certainly left us Aussies with a stunning little car !

For the record, I imported a 1971 Hornet Coup in 2016 and aim to import a 73 Gremlin next year (done deal just raising the cash).
Craigie.........

1968 Dodge Charger "Bullitt" tribute
1971 SC/360 Hornet
1973 "Levi" Gremlin
JAD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2019 at 10:58pm
I have a 71 401 SST that I would like to export. Needs restoration, Black, Red interior, Go Pac.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2019 at 5:11am
This thread is a bit of a blast from the past, Frank (gopedeler), who started this thread also passed a few years ago, although his BBG Javelin did get finished in the end by the next owner after a lot of work and a colour change.

I actually have two imported AMCs now in addition the the Aussie Javelin I had back at the start, neither imported by me. A 71 AMX that was brought in by Craig Norling, who is probably responsible for half of the imported 71-74 Javelins in Australia and a 74 Gremlin that is another ex-military car that came off the US Air Force base in Exmouth, probably back in the late 70's sometime. 
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
JAD View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2019 at 11:37am
Thanks for the reply,

Here is a pic of the 71 Javelin 401 SST II would like to export. It is currently on eBay. I hope to find a buyer Australia. I can export it from Los Angeles if you known anyone who would like to drink beer and look at and or restore it let me know.

It has some really cool options.

JAD
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2019 at 4:28pm
Looks like a fairly good starting point, the currency exchange rate is probably working against you a bit now as well as additional asbestos compliance issues that are now in place.

A few years ago our currency was around 1 for 1 a dream for car enthusiasts, now the Aussie dollar only buys about 70 US cents. Restoration prices here are probably higher and parts availability is a problem for us.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2019 at 5:48pm
Not to knock any deals, but if you're overseas purchasing a little know car even in the States, best buy one that's done.  Trying to find little bit and pieces will drive you nuts and COST a ton.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic