TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

IKA Rambler with Kaiser 226 - Rambler on head!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IKA Rambler with Kaiser 226 - Rambler on head!
    Posted: Dec/24/2021 at 8:59am
This is the first time I've seen this! "Rambler" cast into the head of a 226 Kaiser flat-head six. We all know about the Tornado/Torino OHC six used in IKA (Industries Kaiser Argentina, if you didn't know!) Ramblers, but IKA started producing Ramblers in 1962, the Tornado engine wasn't introduced until April 1965 (and became the Torino when it was changed to have seven main bearings for the 1973 model year). 62- early 65 model IKA Ramblers had the 226 Kaiser (Continental) L-head six in them. These were all Classics and Ambassadors. The Ambassador was actually a Classic with Ambo trim, NOT the longer wheelbase US Ambassadors. The American based Torino didn't appear until 1966.

This is the first time I've seen one of the 226 engines! I didn't know they had "Rambler" cast into the head!!

More on a 64 IKA Rambler Classic 660 here (where I got the photos)... if you speak Spanish (I don't)

In contrast, a 67 IKA Ambassador with Tornado engine (same producer)

Edited by farna - Dec/24/2021 at 9:04am
Frank Swygert
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2021 at 5:25pm
AMC bought into IKA Industrial Kaiser Argentina in 1962 and shipped the 1962 AMC car tooling to IKA. IKA used the same engine they had started out with the flat head 226 Kaiser Continental engine. It not very hard to cast a new head for a flat head engine. Not sure why change to Rambler unless they thought it would help there marketing . The OHC Tornado 230 was used 1965/1966 and up IKA cars.  Not sure if they keep the flat after that.

Note : AMC also shipped the 1963 /1964/1965 tooling to Argentina. They pretty much were building the 1965s give or take a year up until the late 1970s. The IKA-Torino AKA Rambler American IKA built up until 1981 . But by then Renault had bought the company and the IKA-Torino was rebadged as a Renault !. LRDaum
PS. I have some of the Argentina factory brochures on this. LRD
LRDaum
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2021 at 8:03am
They switched to the Tornado engine across the board in April 1965. The 226 Kaiser would be just a little better than a 195.6 OHV 63 Classic -- it needed a bit more power! The last year for the big cars in Argentina were the 72 models, last Torino was 82 or 83.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic