TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

IGN. KEY TUMBLER???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IGN. KEY TUMBLER???
    Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 8:27am
FINALLY getting Ready to install the Tilt Steering Column I Bought Here MONTHS Ago, But was unable to get it to CANADA!
PLAN to Clean it All up & POSSIBLY Do some Paint touch up, so it kind of Blends in With my 74 MATTY, With Only 16,000 Miles on it. (EVERYTHING Still LOOKS Like NEW!) The Problem I'm Worrying About, is the TUMBLER, the Piece that has the IGN. Key in it. I wanted to Keep ALL my Factory Keys, & PLANNED to Just use My Existing Non Tilt TUMBLER Assembly, BUTT, I Was Told by Two Different (Long LONG Ago) AMC Techs that I Can't do That, I HAVE to Re-Code the Tilt TUMBLER To MY Key(s)!
Many, MANY Years Ago, while Working at a G.M. Dealership, I Rebuilt Probably in Excess of a HUNDRED TILT Columns a Year, and Never Heard or Seen Such a weird Idea!
Can This Possibly be True, & IF Possible, (Out of Sheer Curiosity) anyone KNOW Why/How come??????

IF I can just Swap TUMBLERS, That's What I'd MUCH Rather do.

THANKS In ADVANCE! 

ME
Hogman
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 8:42am
I swapped Tilt tilt column 2 years ago on my 70. Swapped tumblers between units easily.
Ignition switches don't swap.

Edited by Heavy 488 - Apr/23/2021 at 8:44am
Hogman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

I swapped Tilt tilt column 2 years ago on my 70. Swapped tumblers between units easily.
Ignition switches don't swap.

AHHH, MAYBE That is what They're Thinking! THAT Makes Sense! Truly got me wondering when TWO Old/Former AMC Techs Said the Same though  LOLOL

THANKS Brother Heavy, Appreciate the First Hand Knowledge Reply!  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  Beer

ME
Hogman
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 10:01am
The difference is where the tumbler sits in the column. Non-tilt tumbler actuates the ign. Switch one direction and tilt tumbler connects to the ign. switch rod so it moves  the opposite direction. Some tumblers are fixed with a screw and later ones a spring loaded catch. The ign. switchs are basically flipped but not interchangable
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
Hogman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 10:32am
Originally posted by BDCVG BDCVG wrote:

The difference is where the tumbler sits in the column. Non-tilt tumbler actuates the ign. Switch one direction and tilt tumbler connects to the ign. switch rod so it moves  the opposite direction. Some tumblers are fixed with a screw and later ones a spring loaded catch. The ign. switchs are basically flipped but not interchangable

JUST So I'm 100% CLEAR, (In What's left of MY Mind at least!  LOL) The TUMBLER Assembly WILL Work, but Turn the Opposite Direction, or am I Not thinking correctly? IF I Don't have to Swap out the Ign. SWITCHES, That's Perfectly Fine with me, UNLESS I MUST Change More than Just the TUMBLER Assembly, to get it to Turn the Right (Correct!) Direction?????
MAYBE I Should just Remove them BOTH, & Get Them to a Locksmith to Change The Tumbler Pins to My OEM Keys? I Thought I'd read an Article Here Last Year, but I've been Unable to Find it Again. I HAD That Saved, but on April 6th, I had a Major Computer Melt Down, and Lost EVERYTHING I Had Saved....... Cry

THANKS For The Additional Info BDVG!!!

ME
Hogman
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 12:21pm
In both tilt and non tilt, the switch is midway down the column. One switch is pulled, the other pushed. That's why they don't interchange. Nothing to do with the tumbler but a function of the column internal linkage
Hogman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2021 at 1:50pm
THANKS Brother!!!!!!   Thumbs Up

ME
Hogman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic