TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

hydraulic clutch kits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hydraulic clutch kits
    Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 6:47pm
Has anyone here done a hydraulic clutch setup with hydraulic throw out bearing. I contacted American powertrains to see if they would do a kit. Looked around their website did not find the size I would need about 1.410 that is the ID of my throw out bearing. or 1 13/32 ID.  My transmission nose where the throw out bearing slides OD is about 1.408 Waiting for their response. 
Larry
SC Rambler
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 9:33pm
I purchased the hydraulic clutch kit from Silver Sport Transmission, but I'm running their TKO.  Would be worth it to call them.  Always had good results when I contacted them.

I also Googled hydraulic throw out bearings which lead me to Summit.  This unit:
claims to be for a 1-3/8" input shaft which = 1-12/32".  Not far from a 1-13/32".
Bill O.
70 AMX
crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 9:43pm
 I second talking to Silver Sport. I also have a TKO in my 69 Rouge using there kit. I did substitute there throwout bearing for a Tilton. Also worked with Tilton on a smaller bore with longer stroke to reduce the pedal pressure. Installing the master would be a real pain in the rear with the engine in the car. 
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by crossramrambler crossramrambler wrote:

I second talking to Silver Sport. I also have a TKO in my 69 Rouge using there kit. I did substitute there throwout bearing for a Tilton. Also worked with Tilton on a smaller bore with longer stroke to reduce the pedal pressure. Installing the master would be a real pain in the rear with the engine in the car. 

Hey Jim!  I had to do the same thing (installed a smaller bore) on my hyd. clutch, as
the pedal effort was too high.  Hope to see you n' Carrie sometime in the future!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
390amx1 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390amx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2021 at 6:20am
Silver sport has a nice kit as others have said with the adapter specific to AMC to mate the master to the firewall.  The kit uses Wilwood masters.  I also changed out the master that came with the kit to a smaller bore.  The masters direct from Wilwood are reasonable if you wanted to change it out after the kits install (like under $70).  But suggest if you buy from SS you may want them to change it out from the kit to the smaller bore right upfront.  I believe the kit has a 3/4" bore and I went to 5/8" bore.  Frankly if I could find one I would go with a 1/2" bore.  At the 5/8" bore the pedal still is pretty hard to push (slightly less effort than a stock mechanical linkage and a B&B stock clutch) and doesn't have much feathering ability.  As others have said installing the master with the engine in the car is difficult but not impossible.  I did one with the engine out and one with it in.  Anyway If anyone knows of someone that can fabricate a 1/2" bore master with a Wilwood bolt pattern, please advise. 
69 BBB 390 Tremec 5-speed AMX #13584 since 1978 (166,000 miles)
08 Zo6 Corvette
22 Ram 1500
24 CT5-V Blackwing #317
Yamaha Supercharged Jet Ski's
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2021 at 12:43pm
I made my own using a parts-store Camaro CSC, modified Wilwood master, made the hose, a bracket to mount to the pedal, clearance hole in the firewall with a reinforcement. If you're handy, can do things for a lot less than a kit - depending on how you price your time.

Check also Ram, Tilton, McLeod for a CSC (concentric slave cylinder, AKA hydraulic TOB) as they have options for several transmissions

Sorry, pictures lost when deleted Photobucket account, but lists the parts I used.
https://theamcforum.com/forum/6-speed-manual-transmissions_topic48121.html

Hope this helps, RD.
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2021 at 7:53am
I have installed hydraulic throw out bearings in 2 AMC's with T10's, a 70 AMX and a 66 American/401.  I used a Ram TO bearing in the AMX and a Mcleod hydraulic TO bearing in the American. the Ram bore was larger than the front bearing retainer, called Ram and talked with a tech, he suggested shimming, which I did, wrapping shim stock around the bearing retainer.  This worked fine as the TO bearing frame is static on the bearing retainer.  For the American I used the larger diameter AMC front bearing retainer and turned it down to fit the Mcleod TO bearing center bore.  When using a hydraulic TO bearing in an AMC remember that the depth of the bell/length of the input shaft is greater than a Ford or Chevy, so you will need more shims between the TO bearing and the front of the trans/retainer to set the depth.  The Mcleod TO bearing has a threaded adjustment for fine tuning.  I'm using a Mcleod bearing in a 75 Hornet race car that I'm building, however I'm using a Liberty Equalizer trans and have spec'ed the  front bearing retainer for the stock Mcleod TO bearing.  I used Wilwood master cylinders in all cases, Mcleod spec's a .75" bore minimum.  I fabbed mounts for the MC's and levers to connect to the clutch pedal to actuate.
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2021 at 12:20pm
Grand Wagoneer with 360 Hyd Master and slave are designed for the AMC Bellhousing. Super Simple with an aftermarket braided Stainless line. No major work involved and cheap.
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2021 at 7:40pm
Thanks much for all the response Fellow AMCers
1969 SC Rambler
I looked at Siler Sport nothing for T-10.
Ram Collar Dia. 1.370.
Mc lead they have hydraulic bearing for Javelin 1971 did not give collar dia.
From my searching on GM T-10s transmissions it seems like they use collar size 1.375 OD.
In a response from American Powertrain they said HMGM-01101G for GM T-10 would work on my AMC.
But I could not get the collar dia. from them where Bearing rides.
My transmission collar with dirt is about 1.408 OD where throw out rides. My throw out bearing with dirt is 1.410 ID.
I read somewhere on Forum where there is a large and small dia. collar. If that small dia. is 1.375 OD.
Can I replace mine with that one. And what would fit any GM for T-10 collar. Can someone measure the smaller one and post a response. 
Thanks Larry        
SC Rambler
Ramzilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2021 at 8:41pm
From what found out from Summit American Powertrain hydraulic clutch HMGM-01101G.
Fits a 1.375 bearing retainer. It looks like no one makes them to fit AMC without shimming or turning down the pre 1970 retainers. Would like to keep mine intact without turning it down. Would rather spend the money on a new retainer.  I read about someone here on Forum making Front bearing retainers. Hopefully he will still be able to make them. 
Would like to talk to that person, can someone give me some info. and how to contact him.
Thanks Larry 
SC Rambler
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic