TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to remove ignition switch 1974 Matador

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postmandougie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to remove ignition switch 1974 Matador
    Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 4:01pm
Well, somehow lost both sets of keys over the winter.Censored  Guess that's what happens when you repaint, refloor, and refurnish the house and everything gets moved five times over...

So, can anyone tell me how to remove the ignition switch from the steering column?  I've got a spare key and barrel combo and a locksmith willing to swap them, but it's much $$$ cheaper if I can get it to him rather than fork out for a housecall...

Oh, I was born a Rambler man...
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 5:07pm
You need to pull the steering wheel then remove the lock plate. This requires a special tool. under the lock plate is the turn signal switch remove it. You can remove the lever and three screws that hold it in place and lift it out of the way without completely removing the wiring. Under the switch is a small slot you need to use a small screwdriver to push down a tab to release the tumbler assembly. You may need a service manual to find the correct place to release the tumbler. 

I found this picture it should be where you need to depress to remove the lock cylinder.

Edited by 1970390amx - Apr/14/2013 at 5:12pm
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
postmandougie View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote postmandougie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 5:30pm
Thanks for the info and photo.  What kind of special tool do I need, ie. what do I ask for at the parts store?  Or is there something I can use instead?
Oh, I was born a Rambler man...
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 10:39pm
This is what I own, they can be bought for under 100$. It contains the tools to work on most columns, including tilt columns. You can probably rent one also, some auto parts places will rent one for only a refundable deposit. It has the wheel puller and the lock plate depresser you will need.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 10:43pm
This is the pieces assembled to hols the lock plate so you can remove the snapring
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 4:24am
You can get the kit at an O'Reilly Auto Parts as a loaner tool. Just put up a deposit and when you bring it back, the total is refunded. No need to buy something you don't use very often.
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic