TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How do you get paint coverage in these areas??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you get paint coverage in these areas??
    Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 4:03pm
 How do you get a decent coat of paint on these areas in the engine compartment??? Near impossible to get the right angle with a spray gun to get coverage.  Touch up with artist brushes, or ???????  Thanks.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 4:34pm
Try a detail paint gun 
they call me Capt RETIRED!
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 5:46pm
X2.  Sometimes called a Touch up gun.  Binks makes a good one.  When using it upside down or horizontal, be sure to place a rag over the cup vent to prevent drips.
Mike
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 6:12pm
Remember, all you are going for is coverage; this part of the car doesn't require a show quality finish!  Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2021 at 8:11pm
Or if you gun is fairly high quality,  put on stream,  with very low pressure, spray some in those recesses.

High or normal pressure will just blow paint back from enclosed areas like that.

Spray the first coat with a normal fan, and pressure.   Let the mist clear,  check your areas,  like recesses,   corners,  etc.
 Put you spraygun on stream, lowest possible pressure.  mist a little paint in the areas not getting good coverage.
Then put another coat overall at normal fan and pressure.
If it's a metallic,  you might have to do this more than once.

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2021 at 8:48am
Thank you for the replies. I have a new found appreciation for anyone that does a full blown rotisserie restoration now. How they get good coverage in all the nooks and crannies is quite a feat. Clap  
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2021 at 4:02pm
 A small jam gun works good I do all the difficult areas first then finish out the rest of the job with a bigger gun.

J

Edited by JGRANTAMX - Jul/01/2023 at 11:22am
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 8:38am
Order one spray can of exact match paint color from Tower Paint in Wisconsin....There are other place that can make you a exact color  too....A can is pretty handy to have to touch up little goofs and get into tight places like you show in your photos....
Thankyou....Bob
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 10:51am
For those types of spots (control arm reinforcements) I was able to adjust my gun to a tight spot pattern and get it from the top of the shock tower.  I have a detail gun and had the cup upside down.

I was also able to practice getting coverage in these areas with the primer and sealer.  Having a light gray primer, then a darker gray sealer let me figure things out, even if I had to sand out runs.  I had a bigger challenge getting the areas around the radiator support and the front of the inner fenders.

As stated above, it may be best to get these tough areas first to get coverage.  Eliminate any runs or flaws, then just ensure that they are dusted to even out the metallic.  

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2021 at 8:00pm
Would an airbrush work? Just wondering.

-Steve-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic