TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Holley Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2022 at 2:02am
Good advice there Gench.

I've just added the 7" digital dash to mine, got there in the end given that in this instance the instructions are extremely poor, lacking some critical details necessary to get it running and the USB connectivity is pretty flaky. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but I do think it will be a good thing. 

Next thing will be to add some extra inputs for things like oil and fuel pressure, especially since I only have the low oil pressure light and that is now hidden behind the dash.

I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2022 at 8:26am
I have the 6.86 pro dash, love it. Best part beyond shift lights and engine data, virtual switches… headlights, fans, water pump can all have a switch. Next on the list is adding a launch button that engages line lock, sets two step rev limiter and releases when clutch is released. 

Regarding usb connectivity to dash, I use the small Microsoft surface that has the latest small USB with an adapter to dash cable… this fixed my issues for the most part. Prior someone had to hold it stable and watch for log file naming when it disconnected. Now I start logging and set it on passenger seat. 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2022 at 11:37am
I had a sniper on a previous car.  I learned a few things mentioned above (exhaust leak drove the system nuts), but one important one is to save your tune periodically.  On my car, the tune went away if you disconnect the battery.  My main issues were leaning out the cold start to get the car to stop stumbling on warmup and getting the IAC to work properly (it would not allow enough air in for a cold start, but if I opened the throttle screw more, it would not idle down when hot).

I don't miss it, it was frustrating for me rather than enjoyable.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2022 at 12:16pm
What manifold are you guys using? I am running an R4B dual plane and have heard that a single plane worke better with efi.
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2022 at 12:29pm
Mike,

Sorry you didn’t enjoy the sniper. Lots of time was spent tuning iac and return to idle settings. One tip for a steady idle, keep the timing map idle rpm range all the same, otherwise it will bounce around with iac trying to correct.
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2022 at 12:51pm
Bobsterfl - Agree, i’ve read dual plane with small or no break in the divider below throttle body won’t tune or run well. Any dual plane will work if the divider is removed, my understanding anyway. Mine tuned fine with the airgap, 10:1, 502 heads and 280h cam… just no compression to turn the cam on once I brought it to elevation. The new motor will be around 11.4:1 with a similar cam but modern split roller and a torker intake.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2022 at 5:22pm
I believe that issue with the dual plane intakes is a bit of an old wives tale, I'm pretty sure it was something that happened with the terminator or Holley EFI system, not the Sniper, but it still gets a lot of airtime.

I cant really talk form experience though as I originally ran mine on a Performer with a 1" open spacer and I now run it on a Torker. Mine is a dedicated drag car, so I have fairly simple tuning requirements and fine tuning the system for street driving is not something I need to deal with.

With my dash setup above I retained the small screen when I installed the digital dash, I'm thinking I'll use it to control the  data logging although if I add some additional inputs direct to the dash, they wouldn't be captured unless I log with the dash.

With the USB issue, I just had to try a few different flash drives until I found one that would talk to the dash.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2022 at 9:38pm
From the Holly forums posted by a Holley mod.

Quote We have done extensive testing here at Holley, the Sniper EFI works well on both Single & Dual-Plane intakes. The thing about TBI injection, is it still requires the fuel to be distributed through the intake manifold. Lots of dynamics can effect the distribution of air & fuel into each cylinder, however, the Sniper EFI was designed to be used with both dual & single-plane intakes. Snipers test with success on both Single & Dual-Plane intakes.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2022 at 4:02pm
We are a holley dealer, and have done many installs and fixes of efi systems, holley and others have driveability issues with a dual plane intakes, even worse if you change it to progressive linkage because it shuts off the rear injectors, basically leaving you with a vacuum leak on the rear throttle blades. I wish they would allow the system to idle with all  injectors and just progress the secondaries but they dont. We normally mill the center divider out, sometimes it helps a lot, sometimes only some and we have to add a spacer.

i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2022 at 7:25pm
So what's the consensus with the airgap? Mill the divider? Install a 1" or taller spacer or both?

Why are the instructions so adamant about connecting directly to the battery? I haven't started mine yet. But it's connected to a ground bus bar only 1 foot from the battery with 2 gauge welding cable. My old man is an electrical engineer and said this would make no difference.

I have my sniper CDI box mounted in the interior to reduce chances of Rfi. 

Edited by i6cj7 - Feb/13/2022 at 7:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic