TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Holley Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2022 at 4:27pm
I have the full setup as well, started with just the fuel side and added ignition later. I don't think the CDI box is absolutely necessary, I started using just the coil driver and a regular coil and didn't really notice much difference when the CDI box and matching coil was added. 

The information above is all good also pay particular attention to the ignition settings like inductive delay and reference angle, just follow the instructions fully, the default settings probably won't be correct.

The fuel side is pretty straight forward due to the self learning capability and you can tweak it from there if you feel the need to.

Remember the ignition side has no learning capability so you do need to set that up to suit your engine, the simple timing setup is just that, really simple you have to timing settings and the advance all comes in all in one hit, not what you really want, but enough to get you running. You need to run the 2D timing table, from there you can program it to do everything a regular distributor can do and more.  

I'd get the Super Sniper if I did it over again for the extra data logging capability.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2022 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by blue68AMX blue68AMX wrote:

I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 70 AMX and would like to know how you did the in tank pump with out cutting up the trunk floor.
I had a secret weapon for the Hornet. It had a stock 18 gallon tank but later on AMC changed to 22 gallon. I bought a new 22 gallon tank and sunk the top of the pump area and the gauge sender. Lost a gallon or so of capacity but still came out ahead on fuel capacity. Not every one can benefit from that but there is project thread where someone is using/modding a Jeep Holley sender with a pump attached to put EFI on their Rambler.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2022 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

Also I see you can install a knock sensor so it can back off timing if it senses ping...
That seems to be something new since I did my installation. Do you have a source of information on that? 

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2022 at 1:59am
That might be the Terminator system.
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2022 at 8:10am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Also I see you can install a knock sensor so it can back off timing if it senses ping...
That seems to be something new since I did my installation. Do you have a source of information on that? 

I was digging into to so many efi docs on line...yeah it appears it's not for the Sniper. 

Thanks to all of the real world feedback!

I have ordered the adjustable progressive throttle linkage as that makes 100% sense and wonder why it's not even standard.

Taking advice to run new engine in steps...EFI first then add in the Hyper Spark after I get fuel table set.

I am a computer guy so messing around with a laptop and learning software is not an issue with me but for sure need to learn up on many of the settings. The Digital dash allows you to add all your dash lights such as turn signals, high bean indicator plus any engine / drivetrain monitoring. I am going with the Holley GPS plug in so the factory speedo will remain in use to keep track of mileage. 

Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2022 at 10:22pm
The digital dash is high on my bucket list since the standard 3.5" display is currently the only working instruments I have in the car other than the oil and brake warning lights.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2022 at 7:18am

I have ordered the adjustable progressive throttle linkage as that makes 100% sense and wonder why it's not even standard.
If I remember correctly the update to accommodate the progressive linkage is a fairly new addition to the Sniper software. It maybe Holley has just not gotten around to adding the linkage to the package or they left it out to keep the base price down.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2022 at 9:30pm
I've just hooked up the Sniper 2 step rev limiter as posted elsewhere, once again I'm impressed by how much functionality these things have. A stand alone 2 step limiter is probably going to cost you $100.
Hudsonator View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2022 at 7:03pm
An alternative for the progressive linkage from Holley: https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper-efi-progressive-linkage-kit
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2022 at 11:34pm
Have a few hundred miles on a super sniper install leveraging the full Holley ignition and in-tank pump. No comparison to the system  removed. Starts immediately. Runs good cold. Starts easy hot. Log file to review. Just needed some tuning to make it all happen. Lots of great advice already. Reading the installation instructions fully a few times before install. Then get the manual out again for all the first time setup of iac, distributor lockout/timing procedure and other when you start it for the first time. Run wires to battery as directed, proper battery voltage, good grounds, good wire connections, proper wire size if extending harness to trunk battery, no vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks, O2 sensor installed at proper location… it all matters. Fuel filters are important as well. Great time for electric fans the sniper will control. All the details are in the installation guide when it comes down to it and videos on each topic were easily found as well. Only the super sniper input/outputs could use more manual detail. 

A good laptop without a traditional spinning hard drive, needs to be flash based. Logging is huge! Cold temp tuning, accelerator pump tuning, timing changes… the logging all makes it easy.

I ended up installing the throttle arm extension to tame the light throttle revs as others have noted. It was hard not to spin the tires off the line, the extension helped but verify pedal full throttle.

Enjoy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic