TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

High Temp Thread Sealant - Help Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Temp Thread Sealant - Help Needed
    Posted: May/08/2022 at 6:45am
Hello,

Long story short - I cannot get the rally pak brass T fitting and pipe to stop leaking on my 69 Amx. I replace the fittings the second time just to make sure I didn’t have a crack. Third time I put the high temp permatex on the threads after cleaning (sprayed everything with brakecleen) and let it dry a bit
 before installing and still leaks… 

Is there another high temp sealant anyone recommends? 

Thank you - Zeb jr
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 7:35am
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 7:41am
Swak. By swagelock is the best you can get. 
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 7:59am
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 8:30am
Teflon tape build it up always works for me 
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 9:01am
Teflon tape is for your sink.   Automotive sealants are for cars.
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 9:25am
Technically brass fittings should not need any help.  It's all compression fittings right?
they call me Capt RETIRED!
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 9:35am
I think it's the brass rod into the block and the brass rod into the tee- fitting where he's have issues.

They should be tapered fitting ends and self selling, but who know what version he may have used.

Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 10:29am
Permatex 59235. Unlike teflon tape, I have never had anything leak. Air, fuel, oil, water.  I use it everywhere I want a permanent seal.  I recent replaced an air hose connector that had been sealed for 15 years, and the sealant was still pliable and threads unscrewed without difficulty.

56521 is excellent too as a replacement for teflon tape.

Edited by Pdok - May/08/2022 at 10:31am
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
Zeb jr View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2022 at 1:02pm
Thank you for all the replies - it is fine thread brass and not compression fittings. I’ve used the loctite and permatex with no success. I do have Hooker SC headers and it’s close - wondering if it’s soaking up header heat and melting the sealant. Also thinking about wrapping it with some kind of heat shield. I am familiar with Swagelok fittings from cryogenic industry - maybe I will try that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic