TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help with Upper Control Arm bolt orientation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 4:59am
 Thanks Bill. I see you have a 1970 also but with all 4 bolts long shanked.  Talon has a Sept '69 and a March '70 build with both cars having all threaded bolts and my Dec 69 build has a 50/50 mix.  No words haha.
I'm starting to search/compare long shank grade 5 and 8's and AN (aircraft as your instructions noted) but aggravation of no description of shank length in specs with bolt vendors I've looked at so far.  
 Everyone's cars seem to be fine with what they have but I need an equal rated set and might as well (hopefully) get it right!

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 6:11am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

I have disassembled 100's of 1970-1977 AMC's and have never seen a full thread bolt in the upper control arm position.......admitted, quite odd.

I have also taken 100s apart over the years, including 4 70's in the past 6 years and they had the same bolts at all locations. They all had the same "grip" length and the 70s all same head mmarkings.

mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 6:52am
'Aircraft' bolts are AN spec and have an 'X' on the head and are fine threads.  I didn't pay that close of attention to the bolts in my Dec 69 built 70.  I'll take a look and contribute another opinion.

Mike
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 7:09am
I'll add the the four 70 Javelins I have disassembled in the last 2 years all had shank bolts.  - JJ
RogerS. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerS. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 8:48am
I would appreciate it if you could tell me the grade of bolts on your same build month Mbwicz.
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 5:42pm
 For upper A arm bolt orientation I have these pictures in my collection of 70 Javelin/AMX cars without engines the bolts go from the middle out, others here might know if that could have variations from the factory? I don't know the history of these cars and only have limited pictures of my car before disassembly although it appears my bolts were oriented the same.

J

Talonfcc566 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talonfcc566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 6:16pm
For the love of .. Pete snake's .. mother of ... is there no answer out there other than Bob installed bolts on the day shift and he was left handed so they went in front to rear, but Jim on swing shift was right handed and installed them tail to nose. Oh and don't for get Jane who filled in for Bob or Jim who liked inside out. I just looked in the AMC Javelin, AMX  & Muscle Car Restoration book and saw one that show left side tail to nose and the right side nose to tail. If it was funny I'd cry. In aviation, when all else fails we go by the part illustration. For now, that's my story and I'm sticking to it .. 
Obviously there will be more to come. Just trying to be funny about Bob, Jim and Jane. Should of used Tom, Dick and Harry.
My Rides: 70 AMX 390 - 4-SPD / L382G(L-100) / 70 AMX 360 - 4-SPD / 1980 CB750C
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by RogerS. RogerS. wrote:

I would appreciate it if you could tell me the grade of bolts on your same build month Mbwicz.

i couldnt find the bolts with a quick search.  ill look again...

my disassembly pics show the bolt heads in between the bushings.

mike

Edited by mbwicz - Aug/08/2022 at 7:07pm
1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 7:03pm
" In aviation, when all else fails..."  In aviation, the bolt threads are either pointing down or back.  That way, if the nut is lost, there is hope that the bolt will still hold the adjoining part and not fall out midair.
Mike
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2022 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Talonfcc566 Talonfcc566 wrote:

I just looked in the AMC Javelin, AMX  & Muscle Car Restoration book and saw one that show left side tail to nose and the right side nose to tail. .

I believe that is correct for 68-69 as I posted above. I have 5 68/69 cars here and they are all like that. Sorry that it may not apply to a 70.

Edited by BU1 - Aug/08/2022 at 7:19pm
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic