TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HELP Low/No Oil Pressure on AMC 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teenmechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP Low/No Oil Pressure on AMC 360
    Posted: May/26/2022 at 2:12am
Hey folks, I'm in need of some input here. I've got a 1977 AMC Matador sedan with a 360 in it, and it was leaking significantly from the oil pump. I just got done replacing the oil pump housing gasket, and didn't touch anything else. Now I'm feeling like I WAS supposed to touch something else. I went to fire it up, and the oil light is the thing I was watching for. Sure enough it popped up. I do not have an oil pressure Guage handy at my shop, so I have no idea what the pressure looks like. All I know is there aren't any INSANE noises coming from the top end just a very slight bit clacky. Barely noticeable. Do I need a new housing? Timing cover? Gears? Or is there something I'm missing. Thanks for any help here, don't want to drive it till it's good. Thanks!
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 6:26am
Hey there... I see you have just signed up recently... Welcome...

Unfortunately this is in the wrong place... this should be placed in the Engine section... 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 7:22am
Need the calibrated oil pressure gauge to tell you if you need to start replacing parts.
Without this, when you replaced the oil pump housing gasket, how did the timing cover pump housing look and did you measure the pump shaft end play?
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 8:00am
Did you pack the oil pump with assembly lube or something? If you assemble it dry often they will not pick up. You probably do have a problem and you must fix before running the engine anymore. Take the oil pump cover back off and coat everything with nice gooey assembly lube.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 8:03am
When you had the cover off, did you pack the gears with something like Vaseline?  The pump needs something in it to "prime" it the first time.  If the gears are dry, it won't draw any oil through.  You may be able to remove the filter and squirt some oil in the filter hole with an oil can to get it going.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 9:59am
I just primed my 290 on the stand. Dry oil pump gears. Pre filled the filter and spun it on. Chucked a stripped down distributor into a cordless drill. Had oil pressure within 5 seconds.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
teenmechanic View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teenmechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 12:30pm
I see now that I've posted this in the wrong section, although I absolutely appreciate the info that I've gotten. I see now that I assembled it too dry. I DID put a little bit of oil in there just to give it some lube, although I don't think it was enough. I like the idea of Vaseline, so I'm going to give that a try, and see if that fixes my issue. I'm also going to prime the system, which I don't believe I did sufficiently. Anyway, thanks guys, I'm sure I'll report back if it doesn't go well ;)
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 12:35pm
have always used vasoline to insure oil pump prime. Had to do it to a 383 Mopar yesterday that wouldnt pick up the oil.

BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by teenmechanic teenmechanic wrote:

I see now that I've posted this in the wrong section, although I absolutely appreciate the info that I've gotten. I see now that I assembled it too dry. I DID put a little bit of oil in there just to give it some lube, although I don't think it was enough. I like the idea of Vaseline, so I'm going to give that a try, and see if that fixes my issue. I'm also going to prime the system, which I don't believe I did sufficiently. Anyway, thanks guys, I'm sure I'll report back if it doesn't go well ;)

Get a gauge and hook it up temporarily to verify pressure or lack thereof before taking stuff apart. You need a baseline pressure reading before going down any other rabbit holes.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
Cloudyday View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cloudyday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2022 at 5:09pm
I ran a aftermarket guage temporarily to my newly rebuilt 360 for a couple weeks before relying on the factory dash guage just for peace of mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic