TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

HEI conversion for 195.6 distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEI conversion for 195.6 distributor
    Posted: Jan/23/2022 at 3:31pm
I inherited this converted distributor. It has really crappy and loose fast-on quick connections on it so I set it aside and did a Pertronix conversion on the cast iron Delco Remy. I just got around to taking the cap off to look and the conversion is done very neatly. It's a nice hack.

So this is clearly another route, if someone can identify the components -- the reluctor that fits over the points cam lobe, affixes with two set screws, and the pickup.

The four-pin module is screwed to the underneath of the body. All this work was done right (then the customer did bad external wiring, which I judged it by). It's clean inside, spins freely etc not at I wouldn't fully disassemble it again.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mark09 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 9:44am
Kinda looks like some Ford parts. 
With HEI module 

Edited by mark09 - Jan/24/2022 at 9:47am
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 11:20am
Originally posted by mark09 mark09 wrote:

Kinda looks like some Ford parts. 
With HEI module 
That's exactly what it looks like. Neat idea for sure. Simple and effective with nothing really being special. I recently found out that MSD's plug and play dizzys have non serviceable pickup and module in them. If it dies you have to send it in to be fixed. Good luck doing that on a road trip.....

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2022 at 10:24pm
Right!! It does look like a duraspark rotor, HEI module. 

I wonder how many one could sell? 

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2022 at 7:17am
Sure it's not the early six cylinder HEI without coil on cap (small, regular cap)? I've nop seen the inside of one of those in ages...
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2022 at 8:50pm
I'm sure of nothing! lol, I don't recognize the parts. I would like to ID them though. I'd gladly disassemble for photos and measurements.

rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2022 at 11:32pm
It looks like a Duraspark setup.  I have one of them in my Jeep CJ 258 that I use to trigger an MSD 6A ignition and blaster coil. I also installed the large cap kit from a 1981 Ford F150 with a 300 straight six. It has been bulletproof and works great for over 20 years. 
Hemirambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemirambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2022 at 12:28pm
1964 American Convertible (stock)
1964 American Hardtop (Not Stock)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2022 at 8:50pm
It does look like the same distrib. And probably a same/similar body. The question how many parts interchange... that one on eBay has got to be a points distrib, and the shaft and gear are wrong, but man it looks sooooo similar... but chebby folk have conversion kits, ... right and I think I just realized I need to research that.

I think we still have some auto electronics shops here in LA, the old fashioned kind. I think I'll take what I have to them and do the 'can you help me with your expertise' thing. I've got a lot of AMC/Rambler distro clean parts here. I'll find one this week and see.

Thanks for that.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2022 at 11:28am
Well, the AMC Delco distributor is essentially a Chevy distributor with a different lower body and shaft on the 196. Likely different  counter
weights and springs for the mechanical advance also, and maybe a different vac advance canister tuned for the 196.

Note the AMC cast the block on the " new" 232 (199/258/4.0) so that it accepts a standard Chevy six distributor as a cost savings feature. Because the oil pump is slightly different you do have to pay attention to how far a Chevy distributor goes into the block though. Some Chevy six HEI units go down to far and bind the oil pump when clamped down. A washer between block and distributor may be needed.

Edited by farna - Feb/06/2022 at 11:30am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic