TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

heater control valve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heater control valve
    Posted: Nov/02/2019 at 2:42pm
Hey Trying to get my Heater working in my 72 AMX. TSM shows a 70 series system but I can not find at any of the AMC parts houses a 72 Heater control valve. I think it goes where the heater bypass hose is. Can anybody help me out with some info or maybe where to find one. also am I correct on were it goes. Thanks.

Jan 2021 update
Hi I was able to find Mr. Jim Tucker in California. He rebuild my 72 Valve back to OEM specs and After using it this winter it performs great. His web site is www.heatercontrolvalve.com he says phoning him is best. He only charged me 135.00. It was worth it as mine was stuck open.
760-749-3488 (best option)

Edited by 72_AMX - Mar/13/2021 at 5:56am
being Alive is not the same as Living
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2019 at 4:48pm
The heater water control valve for the 71 and 72 Javelins and AMXs has not been available for years and is hard and expensive to find....There are re-build kits available from NAPA to rebuild your old one....and that is no easy task....Occasionally there may be one on ebay, but that is probably your best chance....You could try a wanted ad here on the forum and find a used one if yours is completely missing, and then re-built that one....Good luck....Bob in Fort Payne
Thankyou....Bob
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2019 at 8:24pm
Thanks. I will check with NAPA to see if I can get the kit.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2019 at 12:12am
Here is my note on the subject from 20 years ago:

NAPA 660-1000. Ranco repair kit, fits Volvo 74-92. waste of time.

that's the repair kit for the early AMC valve with the thermostatic bulb that fits inside the heater.  Not sure if AMX uses those, or the later external style, like my 68 AMerican does. for that, i'm looking for function, not correct or restoration, so i'm using this:

NAPA 660-1141. 5/8" in and out. currently FOUR SEASONS 74627   

i chopped the business guts off the AMC bracket and drilled it to accept the Four Seasons valve.

Edited by tomj - Nov/03/2019 at 12:17am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2019 at 3:25am
Thanks. Those part numbers will help a lot.
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2019 at 6:36am
If for some reason the kits are no longer available...its been a while since I bought one, I have a few here in Fort Payne...There is not much too them, its getting the thing apart and back together that's proven difficult for me....Bob
Thankyou....Bob
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2019 at 6:47am
Thanks. That would be great. I am only about an hour and a half from Ft. Payne. I will check tomorrow with the shop and NAPA to see if they have one.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2019 at 11:21am
I could be wrong here, but I thought Four Seasons 74648 Heater Valve was a direct replacement?
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2019 at 12:50pm
Would that be available from NAPA
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I could be wrong here, but I thought Four Seasons 74648 Heater Valve was a direct replacement?

I believe that is the valve for some 1968 AMX & Javelin, & 69-70 AMX & Javelin. It is different from the 71-72 Javelin valve.  If you want it to look factory original.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic