TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

headers v free flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regamble1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Have seen the ARH headers on one car so far. They look pretty darn good compared to the older offerings.
Well built, well fit, good materials.
If the build requires, budget permits, brain bling wants headers - these are what to use. most everything else will just be grief in short order.
Ported free flows and 2" to 2-1/2" dual SS exhaust will do 90% of us hobbyist's.
Would not waste time on older galvanized pipes. Even modern cars use SS to last 10+ years.
Remember the old days of replacing exhaust components every 2 -3 years. The rusted fasteners that had to be cut off, rotted pipes, holy mufflers, rust in your face, wrapping gas lines so they would not get hit by sparks from grinder or torch!
The wife complaining about the disaster of the trail though the house and the shower. Let alone the rust stain on the white wash cloth or towel. Who in their right minds decided wash cloths and towels should be white???
The absolute dread of these old pieces of junk. Gone the good old days on this one, and happy to see them gone:)

Can I get an amen?  A M E N.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 9:43pm

Have seen the ARH headers on one car so far. They look pretty darn good compared to the older offerings.
If the build requires, budget permits, brain bling wants headers - these are what to use. most everything else will just be grief in short order.
Ported free flows and 2" to 2-1/2" dual SS exhaust will do 90% of us hobbyist's.
Would not waste time on older galvanized pipes. Even modern cars use SS to last 10+ years.
Remember the old days of replacing exhaust components every 2 -3 years. The rusted fasteners that had to be cut off, rotted pipes, holy mufflers, rust in your face, wrapping gas lines so they would not get hit by sparks from grinder or torch!
The wife complaining about the disaster of the trail though the house and the shower. Let alone the rust stain on the white wash cloth or towel. Who in their right minds decided wash cloths and towels should be white???
The absolute dread of these old pieces of junk. Gone the good old days on this one, and happy to see them gone:)

I don't know what you consider the old days, but I just recently replaced the Midas mufflers and tailpipes on my 70 AMX that were installed in 1987, and they were still in good shape. They weren't stainless steel. I wanted bigger pipes after I bought a high horsepower engine. I had a lifetime warranty on the mufflers and tailpipes and could have made them replace them if they had been bad.

I bought a lifetime battery from K-Mart in 1976 for the same car and they kept replacing them about every 7 years until they went out of business in my town about 4 or 5 years ago.
i6cj7 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i6cj7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 9:46pm
Did they leave the smog bolts on the manifolds and just grind them out until they were smooth on the inside? Or fill it with weld then grind? 
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 10:14pm
I'm gonna put big 'ol honking, ill-fitting 1-7/8" collector headers on my 401. As for heat? They'll be ceramic coated, and I have heat shield/sound deadening under the carpet, so that shouldn't be an issue. I like Remflex gaskets for any headers--they seal up really nice, even if you have warped flanges.
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 10:34pm
ARH runs a sale around New Years for 15% off, not cheap, but quality. They don’t install themselves either but bolted in effortlessly, for a header. They were on my list for a few years, finally made it happen. They are a piece of art header wise and tuned. They tuck up under the car pretty well, should eliminate the drag.

This is what I removed

hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Gench Gench wrote:

ARH runs a sale around New Years for 15% off, not cheap, but quality. They don’t install themselves either but bolted in effortlessly, for a header. They were on my list for a few years, finally made it happen. They are a piece of art header wise and tuned. They tuck up under the car pretty well, should eliminate the drag.

This is what I removed

that looks sweet ... to bad i didn't see a pipe kit for the hornet on there page. I could see the pipes doing me some good more so than the headers.
its the little things that make the biggest difference
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:16pm
I got ARH.with the control freaks bend..and asked how much for the collectors and x pipe they told me 950$....oye..i then asked did that include shipping...but if i can save 15% i can wait
1969 sst javelin restomod
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:29pm

[/QUOTE]
that looks sweet ... to bad i didn't see a pipe kit for the hornet on there page. I could see the pipes doing me some good more so than the headers.
[/QUOTE]

Compare wheelbase to javelin, if it’s close I’m sure you can trim a bit and still get a great fit… within reason.
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Repsolroger Repsolroger wrote:

I got ARH.with the control freaks bend..and asked how much for the collectors and x pipe they told me 950$....oye..i then asked did that include shipping...but if i can save 15% i can wait

They had a sale for the last many years, assume it’s a regular. I’d consider the whole system if those pieces are 950 alone. It’s an investment piece vs traditional exhaust. If your bored, polish the stainless.
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I don't know what you consider the old days, but I just recently replaced the Midas mufflers and tailpipes on my 70 AMX that were installed in 1987, and they were still in good shape. They weren't stainless steel. I wanted bigger pipes after I bought a high horsepower engine. I had a lifetime warranty on the mufflers and tailpipes and could have made them replace them if they had been bad.

I bought a lifetime battery from K-Mart in 1976 for the same car and they kept replacing them about every 7 years until they went out of business in my town about 4 or 5 years ago.

You put K-Mart out of business… 😂
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic