TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

headers v free flow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: headers v free flow
    Posted: May/24/2022 at 11:30am
ok ..  i have spent alot of time and money gathering all the smog stuff for my S/C. i know the free flow ain't stock for the pass side but its better than the log and i can still do the smog look. 
 but now im starting to wonder if i want headers.  so im want to know just how much she will pick up with headers  v the free flow. i know a good set ain't cheap and i will have to sell all the smog stuff to help pay for a set. so .. is it worth it? if 60 foot pounds and a 75 hp gain can happen  i mite do it.  
anyone have data on this?? and what are a good set that will fit best and not be leaking all the time?
its the little things that make the biggest difference
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 12:39pm
This was done back in 2012, and the more RPM you add the better long tube headers will perform. Believe you should cut your expectations in half unless well built for racing and seeing 6000+ RPM a lot:

We ran a series of dyno test on my 401 yesterday.  Here are the results of the free flow (massaged) manifolds, Edelbrock shortys, and long tube headers.

Manifolds - 366.2 hp and 401 torque @ 5050 rpm

Edelbrock shortys - 368.7 hp and 412 torque @ 5250

Long tube headers - 382 hp and 430 torque @ 5050

The test was conducted by SC397.

Needless to say we are leaving alot of hp and torque untapped by the use of the manifolds but there is not enough gain by using the shortys.  Also the long tubes will not work on my car due to how low the car sets.
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

This was done back in 2012, and the more RPM you add the better long tube headers will perform. Believe you should cut your expectations in half unless well built for racing and seeing 6000+ RPM a lot:

We ran a series of dyno test on my 401 yesterday.  Here are the results of the free flow (massaged) manifolds, Edelbrock shortys, and long tube headers.

Needless to say we are leaving alot of hp and torque untapped by the use of the manifolds but there is not enough gain by using the shortys.  Also the long tubes will not work on my car due to how low the car sets.
 ya kinda what i thunk ...  not worth the BS that gose with the headers ....  thanks
its the little things that make the biggest difference
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 12:56pm
My modified 360 made 411 hp and 426 torque with free flows, and 433 hp and 458 ft/lbs torque with full length headers. basically 20 hp and 30 torque difference. This is an engine with a lot of head work too. A near stock engine should be less of a difference.

Edited by Sonic Silver - May/24/2022 at 12:58pm
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Here is the test Rick did on IFSJA... I think it's important to make clear that he ported the OEM free flow exhaust manifolds... So those numbers were not made with stock from the factory castings... 

BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 1:24pm
I don't understand the appeal of headers on most street driven cars. They hang low, leak, make changing starters an Olympic event,.................  How much driving do you do at 5k rpm?  Help me understand.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 1:41pm
It sounds better and gives you a warm feeling inside....because your feet are burning LOL

I just turned down a `70 AMX because it won`t get over "road humps" with it`s headers, goes well though !

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by BU1 BU1 wrote:

I don't understand the appeal of headers on most street driven cars. They hang low, leak, make changing starters an Olympic event,.................  How much driving do you do at 5k rpm?  Help me understand.
They are for people that want to go even faster. I had them on my AMX about 35-40 years ago, but not now. I even had the factory side exhausts on it about 50 years ago, but not now. To me, the negatives outweigh any positives, but to each his own.
ericdowneast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdowneast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 2:18pm
I always kinda liked the more stock look but  my first '74 Javeling had headers.  Aside from hitting speed bumps and replacing starters a lot and exhaust leaks headers were OK I guess.....   Honestly, if you are 5800 rpm or less it probably won't be worth it.  You might gain a little but the PITA factor doesn't =the return IMO.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2022 at 3:12pm
Another consideration with long tube headers is that they do a better job of scavenging in the mid range and can fatten up the power curve there, which is nice in a driver. However, having run long tube headers as much for the look as anything else for years, I also agree that for most people they are not worth the hassle. Even less so if you are not using top quality headers made of thick metal. 

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic