TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head bolts
    Posted: Sep/20/2022 at 5:52pm
I've studied TomJ's terrific website Ramblerlore.com and see he used studs & nuts instead of the OEM bolts.  It's very slick!  But rebuilding on the cheaper side as I'm doing is going to mean foregoing the hardware.  
What about a middle kind of solution to replacing my 63 year old bolts, by getting say grade 5 matching bolts at my better hardware store?  
Has anyone done this?
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2022 at 6:07pm
My 390 came with one head bolt substituted with a hardware store grade 8 bolt. I was unconvinced, so I tried torquing it to spec and, you guessed it, it snapped. I bought a set of ARP bolts.

I realize you are on a budget, but I don't think scrimping on head bolts is wise.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2022 at 6:28pm
You’re better off re-using your 63 year-old OEM head bolts that were made in the good ol’ USA than use new Chinese grade 5 or 8 bolts bought at homer de pot. 

Edited by sweatlock - Sep/20/2022 at 10:00pm
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2022 at 6:42pm
If you're willing to spend some bank I'd go to Mcmaster-Carr and get some nice bolts if I didn't get some ARP stuff. 
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2022 at 9:04pm
Got it!  Thanks.  Won't scrimp.
mtrosclair View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrosclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2022 at 11:24am
I ended up buying replacements bolts from a seller on ebay who removed them from a car in his wrecking yard, obtaining a suitable aftermarket replacement proved problematic. 
1963 Rambler Classic 550
Originally a 196, this one has a 199 from a 69 American.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2022 at 12:03pm
Good show - I had no problem re-using the factory OEM head bolts in my 343 V8 rebuild. Old OEM stuff is made to standards quite different than hardware store fasteners of today and the only modern equivalents would be fasteners used for the aircraft and automotive industries (not aftermarket, with the exception of ARP). 
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2022 at 3:36pm
I went ahead and ordered the studs.  Figured I can afford 'em and with all the work (and $$) I'm putting in to the project, might as well do it the best I can.  The more attention to detail & careful reconstruction, the more confidence I'll have driving her around.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic