TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hassle Choke on 304

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeebieJeebie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 1:17am
I'm running a Motorcraft 2100 and it's running I'd say about 70% - 80% correct. I've adjusted the best that I can by ear and heard that I really should try to adjust with a vacuum gauge. I still have to feather the pedal to maintain idle for about the first two minutes or so. I just thought that an electric choke might take some of the guessing out of it.
You alone can dictate Karma.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Repsolroger Repsolroger wrote:

Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Anything with a choke lever, and a clutch pedal
 has about a .004% chance of ever being stolen by someone under 45 years old Thumbs Up
  now that is funny .....but spot onStar
Where are your cars parked? This is the 0.004% knocking to prove you wrong by stealing your cars. 

You are counting on young people to keep your cars from getting melted down into scrap metal after you are dead and gone, so maybe you shouldn't make fun of us. 

I win bets at cars shows from guys like you. I listen for the "kids these days" comments then walk over and make bets I can start and drive their cars. I once won $300 for starting a Ford Model T on compression and driving it around the parking lot like a pro. Several old men who thought they were the smartest people on Earth and that I was an imbecile paid into that bet thinking they had a sucker. The smug look on their face turned into sheer horror as they each realized they had to explain to their wives when they got home that night how they lost $100 on a bet with a cheeky kid of 22 years old. 

My automatic chokes work fine...hot air or electric.

Edited by FSJunkie - Mar/01/2022 at 1:50am
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 4:43am
Well you better get a large wharehouse, if you have 6 AMC`s at 22, and stand to pick up all ours as we drop, your going to need a good income and a lot of space.
Good luck Clap
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 4:46am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

has about a .004% chance of ever being stolen by someone under 45 years old Thumbs Up
Where are your cars parked? This is the 0.004% knocking to prove you wrong by stealing your cars. 

You are counting on young people to keep your cars from getting melted down into scrap metal after you are dead and gone, so maybe you shouldn't make fun of us. 

Problem is 99% will scrap our cars. And ive dealt with "cheeky' k8ds i know a few younger guys that are car nuts. But not into AMC. the most popular old vehicle in my area for younger guys is a 4wd square bodys.  I had one for 21 years. And most of them are modified. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 7:33am

I win bets at cars shows from guys like you. I listen for the "kids these days" comments then walk over and make bets I can start and drive their cars. I once won $300 for starting a Ford Model T on compression and driving it around the parking lot like a pro. Several old men who thought they were the smartest people on Earth and that I was an imbecile paid into that bet thinking they had a sucker. The smug look on their face turned into sheer horror as they each realized they had to explain to their wives when they got home that night how they lost $100 on a bet with a cheeky kid of 22 years old. 

First off, one exceptional exception does not invalidate the statement.  Secondly, the age groups in society always mock each other, always have, always will.  As one of my friends always puts it "we are now the old farts we used to make fun of".  And finally, cars are supposed to be an enjoyable hobby.  I hate it when this type of conflict (regardless of the source) seeps into a discussion. 

Now before someone takes offense to this and starts flaming me, everything I just said is general in nature and not intended to apply to any one individual or group of individuals.

But to the choke issue, yeah, I don't believe an electric choke is a panacea for a hot air stove version.  If can't get a hot air version to work (and there are no failed components) adjusting an electric version will probably fare no better.  EFI, here we come!! Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 7:51am

Lol,
the Javelin is up on a lift, with the daily driver parked under it,
 so bring friends that can drive stick too FS LOL

My comment wasn't a shot at you,

you're the guy who likes drum brakes and bias ply tires,
 why would I take a shot at you? Clap

I hope you live long enough so that future generations can know what the first mile of driving was like on flatspotted cold bias ply tires,
or what happens to drum brakes after you drive through a big puddle.

My kid is 17,
 loves old cars, carburetors and daily drives a 1980's Jeep.

I hope he's one of the .004% that passes this info down as well,
 but you can't buy almost any new manual transmission cars or trucks anymore today because a gigantic portion of the "kids these days" aren't buying them like generations did before them.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 9:37am
The hot air choke only works well if the whole system is working well. That includes the heat riser valve on the exhaust.
Cracked/eroded/corroded/fouled choke tubes in the intake crossover are also an issue.
Then you have the people that block the crossover and then try to keep the hot stove choke.

If everything mentioned above is functioning well, then the hot stove choke should work well. If not, the electric choke IS the better option.

How many responding to this thread, besides FSJunnkie as he most likely does, still have their heat riser valves???

The OP asked a legitimate question and deserves a reasonable response.
My opinion.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

The hot air choke only works well if the whole system is working well. That includes the heat riser valve on the exhaust.
Cracked/eroded/corroded/fouled choke tubes in the intake crossover are also an issue.
Then you have the people that block the crossover and then try to keep the hot stove choke.

If everything mentioned above is functioning well, then the hot stove choke should work well. If not, the electric choke IS the better option.

How many responding to this thread, besides FSJunnkie as he most likely does, still have their heat riser valves???

The OP asked a legitimate question and deserves a reasonable response.
My opinion.

Other than my Machine which never had one, both the SC and the AMX have theirs.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 6:28pm

Original question was, should they change from original to electric, as they were struggling  with the tuning setup and Heavy488 made a wonderfully comment about it being the setup of both which was the problem so the solution is to find a setup which works without a lot of tuning. Well the modern upgrade would be to EFI, although thats a more expensive option, an alternative would be, go back to a manual choke. Fully adjustable from the comfort of the drivers seat in real time !
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 6:53pm
I don't really think that he will have any trouble with an electric choke. The only car out of at least 100 carbureted cars that I've owned that gave me any real choke troubles was my 70 AMX. The dealership mechanics worked on it when it was new.  I would love to have a dollar for every time I moved it one notch and it acted like I turned the plastic cover with the spring inside it 1/4 turn. Seems like I adjusted it every day or two in the Winter.  Later on, I changed the choke tubes and sanded the little piston inside the choke assembly to let it move freely. The heat riser worked like it should and the part of the tubes that made a loop inside the intake were not clogged up. I never got it to be consistent. 

Edited by Sonic Silver - Mar/01/2022 at 6:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic