TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hassle Choke on 304

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeebieJeebie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hassle Choke on 304
    Posted: Feb/27/2022 at 11:56pm
Will converting to an electric choke from my OEM heat choke on my 304, rid some of the hassle of 
setting it?
You alone can dictate Karma.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2022 at 9:13am
If you have a total absence of clues with one, an abundance of miracles won't come with the other.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2022 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

If you have a total absence of clues with one, an abundance of miracles won't come with the other.
lol...
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2022 at 9:33am
I am very familiar with adjusting chokes. I got at least 15 years of experience every Winter trying to get my Autolite 4300 choke to work properly on my 70 AMX. Then, about 1985 or so, I threw in the towel and went to a different carburetor with an electric choke. Works like a charm now. I have also owned about 100 cars with carburetors over the years. I know when to admit defeat.
BBO UK View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2022 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

So I`m guessing your not in marketing....

"Why not try our new miracle electric choke that works better than the original" LOL
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2022 at 9:52pm
Pay no attention to the guys behind the curtain.  They can be harsh but they mean well.
Do you have a TSM (Technical Service Manual)?  It should explain how to adjust your choke.  Or Goggle some You-Tube videos. 
And although I can't remember specifics about the old chokes, it shouldn't be much different than the electric ones.  There's one adjustment for how far and at what temperature the choke flap closes and opens (based on the temperature from either the manifold or the electric coil), and another adjustment for how far the throttle is held open while the choke is set (which holds until temperature is reached and you rap the throttle to release it).
In my experience, even the electric chokes often require a different setting for the summer and winter, so electric is not always the cure-all.
Bill O.
70 AMX
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2022 at 10:05pm
Anything with a choke lever, and a clutch pedal
 has about a .004% chance of ever being stolen by someone under 45 years old Thumbs Up
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2022 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Anything with a choke lever, and a clutch pedal
 has about a .004% chance of ever being stolen by someone under 45 years old Thumbs Up
  now that is funny .....but spot onStar
1969 sst javelin restomod
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 12:50am
What kind of carb are you running? What kind of problem do you have? Most carbs have a choke pull off. and a heat source to warm choke thermostat. The choke needs to be set tight enough to allow the car to start and pull off needs to open choke to keep it from flooding. If the heat source dont heat up the thermostat as the engine warms the choke will not open fast enough to keep it from flooding as it warms. All a balance of things, if one is not right the car warms up like crap.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2022 at 1:09am
never had issue with those kind of chokes just have to make sure you have clean vacume ports so it will draw hot air to the choke housing
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic