TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Harland Sharp or Scorpion Roller Rockers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harland Sharp or Scorpion Roller Rockers
    Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 11:46am
Hi all, I’m slowly making progress on my 401 build and I am now to the point of making a decision on rockers. I’m looking to avoid any additional machining work so I have narrowed it down to the Harland Sharp (S40046A) and Scorpion (1097 or 3297). I’m not dealing with crazy cam lift .507/.527 but enough I’d rather not risk damage. Has anyone had any experience with either of these on a 1976 stock head. Any preference of the two? I noticed that the Scorpion has a guide place that keeps them in aligned but the Harland Sharp does not. How are the HS kept in place for proper alignment? Final question; is it worth the extra money to get the Scorpion 3297 adjustable rocker vs non adjustable at less cost? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Edited by Keller - Feb/03/2023 at 8:13pm
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 12:06pm
Before you decide on rocker arms it would be helpful to know what lift cam you intend to use. Depending on that there might be a cheaper alternative in using LS rockers.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 12:24pm
the Harland Sharp set  is basically a drop on replacement for the bridge set up AMC used then. there is no need for guide plates.
I have a new set on my shelf. (Shameless plug)   Wink and i will certainly beat Jegs or Summits pricing if you decide to go that direction.
I like and use H.S rockers..   They are American made (Strongsville Ohio)   and also have a lifetime warr.
Mike
Keller View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 12:41pm
Hi Tom, I’m running a Lunati Voodoo cam (702) with .507/.527 lift. I’ve been told a ford 1.6 will work by stepping up to a 3/8 or 7/16 bolt but unfortunately my machine shop has already reconditioned the heads and I missed the window on that unless we tear them down again.
Keller View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Keller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 12:54pm
Thanks Mike, I’m leaning towards the HS but I wanted to get some opinions from some guys that have possibly had experience with one or the other before pulling the trigger. So do you deal in HS or just happen to have a set on the shelf? Any idea what you can let go of a set of the (S40046A) for? Feel free to send a pm. Thanks.
ericdowneast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericdowneast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 3:07pm
If you are using a 1976 bridge rocker head isn't the .527 lift to high without machine work?  Asking for others to chime in on this.
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 3:34pm
Keller, Yes i am a dealer for H.S.
 that is why i have a set on the shelf.   pm coming your way.
eric brings up a point about checking retainer to guide clearance for the over .500..  I honestly don't remember the magic #. it may be ok to .520 lift. but should be checked. imo.
Keller View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by ericdowneast ericdowneast wrote:

If you are using a 1976 bridge rocker head isn't the .527 lift to high without machine work?  Asking for others to chime in on this.

Eric, Thank you for bringing this up. I am learning as I go on this build. I have read that HS or Scorpion rockers solved any machining/fitment issues on 1974 and newer heads. I haven't read anything about how lift would affect this so I am eager to here others thoughts. Thanks again.

Keller View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Keller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

Keller, Yes i am a dealer for H.S.
 that is why i have a set on the shelf.   pm coming your way.
eric brings up a point about checking retainer to guide clearance for the over .500..  I honestly don't remember the magic #. it may be ok to .520 lift. but should be checked. imo.

Mike, thanks for the reply. I received your pm before seeing this so you have already answered some of my questions. Good point on the lift, as I told Eric I have read that the HS/Scorpions solve machining issues on 1974 and newer heads but have read no mention of how lift could affect this. I am learning as I go as this is my first build so certainly can use any and all experience and insight. 

thanks again,
Harold   
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

the Harland Sharp set  is basically a drop on replacement for the bridge set up AMC used then. there is no need for guide plates.
I have a new set on my shelf. (Shameless plug)   Wink and i will certainly beat Jegs or Summits pricing if you decide to go that direction.
I like and use H.S rockers..   They are American made (Strongsville Ohio)   and also have a lifetime warr.
Mike
and I would buy from you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic