TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gues what I found in my t96 transmission?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Mac VP Mac VP wrote:

Double check the oil level……a finger into the filler plug opening will confirm if it’s up to full. If no oil detected, poke a screwdriver or wire into the drain plug opening to make sure that it isn’t plugged with sludge or debris, preventing the oil from draining out.

X2!!!
Seen it happen more than once!!!!!!

ME
Hogman
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 3:03pm
I use GL-1 rated, mineral oil, from a two gallon jug I buy at Tractor Supply stores.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 4:15pm
Would not personal put GL-1 in any automotive gearbox. We used it at work for single grade gear oil in low speed conveyor gearboxes.
It's just about as pure an oil can be with few additives. For vehicles it was used for soft metals, low loads and low speeds prior to 1930's.
May be good in an antique tractor, but not a car that sees todays highway speeds and loads.
In this case it may be good to use as a cheap flush before putting in better oil.
The Sta-Lube GL-4 85W90 is available in the US at NAPA as mentioned before.

1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 9:56am
Well, here's more history on the rambler super (six) I have...
The PO stopped being willing to converse with me about the car after two or three times of talking to him about the car AFTER  I bot it. 
Befor, he was mister chatty and friendly, but after he seemed to have less and less time for his reply's to my questions, so here is what I remember him telling me...

The car was sitting in a field from 1986 untill 2012 (might have to do a fact check on that, but those are the years I remember) in a place called Shirley outside of Sooke here on Vancouver Island, bc, canada.
He bot the car, did some work on it, and he said he drove it around for a few years (his words). He said he rebuilt the brakes, not too sure what he rebuilt as I saw evidence lots of stuff wasn't rebuilt or replaced, he said he had the radiator recorded, I took it to a shop and had it boiled out or whatever and the guy said it had been recorded recently, or at least at some point it was an hasn't seen much use. 
But he did not mention anything about the transmission being rebuilt, or anything about the transmission at all. 
There was some sheet metal screwed into the Rusty floor, some really really really crappy throttle linkage and a carburetor with the choke hack sawed right off and a weird looking oil network delivering oil up to the cyl head and to a canister with a oil filter in it bolted to the side of the engine, all that stuff was included in the other stuff in two big plastic totes I got with all the stuff for the rambler when I bot it, so, this kinda indicates he actually did drive the rambler for some time, although there's been times when I wondered if that was true, or for how long he actually did have the car driveable. 
So with the diff obviously being opened and a new gasket of red stuff putty being there, this indicates he opened the dff and put new oil in it, so I would assume if he did that he would also have put some oil in the transmission. 
When I got the car, the engine was in the trunk, 
so the Trans bell house was empty and open, the whole inside of the bellhouse was coated with a black coating of sludge. I cleaned it off with brake cleaner at some point in my cleaning and restoration. 
The first video of the work I do on the rambler titled "1958 AMC Rambler Super" at minute 3:55 is where you can see how dirty and black the inside of the bellhouse is. 
The video titled "1958 AMC Rambler Super pt. 18" at minute 14:20 is a clear example of how deteriorated the clutch fork boot was, which might have been like that for who knows how long, letting the inside of the bell house become that dirty over time, It looks like that is the same boot from the factory and the PO didn't pay attention to replacing it and that might have been why the bellhouse was that black. 
Or maybe a seal at the transmission input shaft wore out and that's why it was that dirty? 
But wouldn't that oil spinning around in there wreck the friction disc? All the times I looked at the friction disc it did not have obvious oil on it though.... 

When nothing came out of the bottom trans oil plug, I opened up the top plug just as an after thought, and I really think with the two plugs off I could see light reflecting off some metal in the Trans from the view point of looking into the bottom plug openeing, so if that is true, then the bottom plug port was not obstructed with a build up of sludge.
But I may be wrong...
I have already filled the transmission from the top plug hole with the appropriate amount of oil as per the tsm specification of 1.5 pints. 
In this case what I can do is get back under there and open up the same bottom drain and see if the oil comes out and report back with my findings tomorrow or the day after.

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/03/2023 at 10:49am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 11:00am
Nope! 
the drain plug was not blocked, last night I undid it and saw some oil start to drain out so I quickly screwed it back on, so that's not the explanation. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 12:57pm
Hopefully it was drained at some point and just not refilled, and not driven with no oil. If it was driven much with no oil it's probably no good -- at least the synchronizer is shot. But maybe it will be okay. Did you replace any seals while the trans was out?
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2023 at 2:27pm
Nope.
I never took the Trans out, we talked about it once and you described kicking the back wheels while the Trans was disconnected to push it away from the bellhouseing, (might have to do a fact check on that)

But I haven't done anything with the transmission, I never got around to it...
I should have and would have with the experience I have now, but back then I was very inexpenrinced and had my mind on things like cleaning the engine bay, and figuring out where all the wires go ect. 

You realy think it's likely ruined eh? 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/04/2023 at 4:09pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2023 at 1:56pm
Depends on how long it was driven without oil. But ruined... no. The synchronizers are the weakest link in that trans. If it down-shifts from 3rd to 2nd it's fine. Definitely worth the cost of the oil to find out. Even if the synchros are bad they can be replaced. Not real hard to do -- if you have the TSM. Involves taking the trans out, top cover off, and input shaft out. IIRC that's about it...
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2023 at 7:18pm
Seems like it'll be a long time before I get around to the Trans. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2023 at 7:51am
As I mentioned, if it's in the car put some oil in it and drive it a little! I think you just need to get that engine broke in real good, and that's the only way to do it.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic