TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gues what I found in my t96 transmission?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gues what I found in my t96 transmission?
    Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 5:25pm
Hi guys,
Before I get into it, I wanted to ask some questions about what type of things I might encounter when I start changing  transmission oil in the Borg warner t96 transmission my rambler has.

What oil should I buy?
The "sticky" for amc transmission oil specs for all autos is a short paragraph, at the end it says the years include 60's 70's but not 50's....
So what oil should I use?
Also, I have no idea what the PO decided to chuck in there, it might be soya sauce for all I know. 
so if it is a diff kind of oil then what is a proper choice, what should I do? I'm not in a position to disassemble the car and take out the Trans to take off the cover and clean it all up...

Is there seals I should have ready before I start the big job for the two little nuts on the side of the gear box, presumably for the bottom one is a drain nut and the top is a fill nut...?

Any knowledge to gather before hand is helpful! 

Edited by 1958 rambler super - Feb/01/2023 at 3:42pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 6:24pm
Don't know what you put in the differential, but all GL-5 gear oils after 2019 are yellow metal compatible.
So you can use the same 80W90 in the transmission.
Again, synthetics are great oils, but in an older transmission as with the differential, they can be noisy.
FYI, gear oils are rated differently then motor oils. A 75 weight gear oil is equivalent to a 10 weight motor oil. 90 weight gear oil is equivalent to a 50 weight motor oil.
A 75 weight is a little light, probably why they are noisier, for a larger clearance 1950/1960's transmissions.
Oil plugs, don't have the TSM but they are usually easy to figure out.

If this was a more modern transmission, you would get a lot fussier with trying to follow the manufacturers recommendations. Believe your T96 calls for 80W90.

This is from the Novak site and they have the same statement for the T86, T90 and T98:
When filling your T90 with gear oil, we recommend that you select a conventional mineral oil or a para-synthetic in lieu of a full synthetic oil. Properly assembled manual gearboxes do not have the thermal strains seen by combustion engines or hypoid gears. Synthetic fluid in these gearboxes, while not harmful, is probably an economic waste.

Hypoid gear oil is sulphurized higher than transmission oil and can be mildly corrosive to the non-ferrous alloys used for synchros, bushings and thrust washers in these transmissions.

An 80W-90, API-GL5 or MT-1 rated fluid is very good. Some claim faster shifts from using a 50W engine oil in their transmission and we do not consider this to be contraindicated unless you operate your vehicle in a very warm environment.

Edited by Trader - Jan/29/2023 at 6:38pm
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2023 at 11:56pm
Huh, ok, that's simple.
I remember iowatom saying (2years ago) he preferred to use some kind of oil used for tractors (might have to do a fact check on that)
But the gear oil I used for the diff should be fine? 
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 12:12am
GL-4 75w-90. Sta-Lube makes a nice conventional and AMSOIL makes a nice synthetic. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Mac VP View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac VP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 5:50am
Generally, we don’t recommend any synthetic gear oils for manual transmissions from the 1940’s through the 70’s. These are mostly cast iron cases and housings. Their machined mating surfaces don’t have the same precise tolerances as the modern die cast parts of modern transmissions. It’s our experience that synthetic oils tend to work their way out of the mating joints much easier than traditional mineral oils. Also, we don’t recommend using any magic transmission “elixir” additives to your transmission. Some of these products tend to foam the gear oil. 

As stated, GL5 gear oil is fine if the producer states that it’s okay for yellow metals. If you can find it, Sta-Lube is still available in the GL4 spec, which is good with yellow metal. Generally, 85 to 90 wt oil works best for your transmission.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2023 at 8:21am
Well the only one found available in Canada on a quick search was this:
It's conventional oil.
You may have better luck at a tractor supply store for more selection. The Sta-Lube 85W90 is available at NAPA US, but not Canada.
Good luck in your hunt! 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 10:06pm
So 80w90 gear oil, same I used in the differential will be a good choice for the transmission, ok, I'll just use that. 
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 3:43pm
Guess what I found in my transmission?
Nothing.
There was not one drop of oil in the transmission when I opened up the bottom drain plug... Not on drop of oil came out, it had no oil in it. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2023 at 4:14pm
That's way too light!
So, a manual transmission is assembled/rebuilt and stored with assembly lube, no oil.
Give us a little history of the car here. If you bought it advertised with a rebuilt transmission installed, can see no oil being in it.
Other then that???
Mac VP View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mac VP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 5:26am
Double check the oil level……a finger into the filler plug opening will confirm if it’s up to full. If no oil detected, poke a screwdriver or wire into the drain plug opening to make sure that it isn’t plugged with sludge or debris, preventing the oil from draining out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic