TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Weight Loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin Weight Loss
    Posted: Jan/20/2023 at 8:13pm
I'm looking to build a '76 Gremlin into a drag race only car. I found light weight a fiberglass hood and fenders. I'll be replacing all the glass with something NHRA approved. Bumpers will pulled off as well. It'll have only one seat. Gutting the interior all together. Except for the needed structure for the steering possibly. It'll get a cage, 4 link rear, a coil over suspension up front, sub frame connectors and a smaller fuel cell. Engine will be a turbo'd Chrysler 4.0 mated to a GM or Chrysler transmission. Disc brakes up front. I'm running the bare minimum. Would be ok to gut the doors down to just the shell? It'll never see the street again.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2023 at 9:35pm
Save your time and money and buy the Gremlin Jim Landis (Hurst390) has for sale.

For $12,500 you can't even buy the parts to build a car like this roller. 

Make sure to hit the arrows on the left and right on the photo to see more photos. 

Tom

Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2023 at 5:05am
Good pictures. He needs to sell the dirt car instead. Actually he will never sell anything Smile
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Gremlin401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2023 at 5:01pm
City and state?

Edited by Gremlin401 - Jan/21/2023 at 5:03pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 9:24am
All I know is Gremlin doors are heavy, thought I had the weight written down, but can't find it. I'm down to 2650 lbs (74 model) with the standard doors, all steel panels, gutted interior, no bumpers, 360 (alloy heads and intake), 727 and AMC 20 rear.

I'm wondering if just gutting the drivers door would be the ticket and leaving the passenger side standard to balance the weight distribution on the car, i.e. help offset the weight of the driver. I have 53.4% left, 46.6% right with driver, or maybe the driver needs to go on a diet Wink
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
ajzamc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ajzamc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 8:36am
Late models had the crash bars in the doors. I cut mine out, no regrets.
My 72 was on a major diet and tipped the scales at 2850 with glass fenders, glass hood, and glass bumpers. 9", glide, 401, 10pt cage, plastic seat, original front window and back glass. 

The glass fenders aren't worth the work it takes to fit them. The hood was the only thing i really noticed a savings on, and if you run a steel hood and cut the bottom bracing out, the actual difference was still not worth the effort. 

Don't need to be the fastest car. I went a lot of rounds going 10.4's 
-Broke 'N' $till $pendin' Racing
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by ajzamc360 ajzamc360 wrote:

The glass fenders aren't worth the work it takes to fit them. The hood was the only thing i really noticed a savings on, and if you run a steel hood and cut the bottom bracing out, the actual difference was still not worth the effort. 

Don't need to be the fastest car. I went a lot of rounds going 10.4's 
where did you get the fiberglass fenders from....I've been thinking about getting some to for my javelin...but not from that place canada..and was there actually any wt  difference?? My steel fenders are in pretty goodish shape...but I'm thinking with new fiberglass fenders less bodywork paint....plus I can sell my stock fenders
1969 sst javelin restomod
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2023 at 11:54pm

[/QUOTE] but I'm thinking with new fiberglass fenders less bodywork paint....plus I can sell my stock fenders[/QUOTE]

Think again!

The steel fenders will always fit better than 95% of any aftermarket fiberglass fenders made.

If you want perfect lines, smooth surfaces, and nice fitting gaps stick with the steel fenders. 

Fiberglass is just not worth the effort and cost in the end on some parts.

Tom

1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
72gremx401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72gremx401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 8:36pm
Acid dipping  the body   , but that is kinda extreme .
1972 gremlin x 401
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2023 at 11:44pm
Acid dipping was for professional teams back in the day. The car only needed to make it through a year or two and then they got a new body. Unless you're getting paid a lot of money

it's impractical and quite a poor choice to acid dip any body you intend to want longevity out of.

If you want lite just go all carbon fiber. A complete NHRA legal 5-Star Camaro body with deck lid, doors, and doghouse weighs just 48 pounds.

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic