TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gremlin Vs Pacer (Which to Use for a Platform?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin Vs Pacer (Which to Use for a Platform?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2020 at 12:28pm
I got my 77 Hornet to about 2700 lbs, but added some ballast to the rear bumper + me was 2875 lbs race weigh. No major money spent and used mostly factory stuff and an iron head 401. Did pay a guy to make a 2 lb fiberglass front bumper. This was hacking stuff off and throwing it out if not necessary. The rule was to look relatively stock from the outside only. Inside there was nothing. Factory stuff like 10" 4 cyl brakes, aluminum Concord rear bumper, hack the hood, doors, panels, etc., with lexan windows.

I used 28 X 10 slicks, but had to slightly massage the fender lips. Rambler fenderwell is much smaller.

But do the Pacer. That is so weird I love it. And lexan windows in that thing will save a bunch!

An ancient video of the Hornet - car is long gone

g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2020 at 2:28pm
To WhatISit,

Sir. The nice folks here have made very good arguments for the Gremlin.
Light weight, more years, interchange up the wazoo...Gremlin, Spirit, Hornet, Concord, even a lot of Eagle parts all interchange. 
I myself, had my V8 Gremlin down to 2600 lbs. (w/o driver).
But there is a very cool factor about a Pacer drag car.
Imagine pulling into the strip with a car that looks something like the one I have pictured below.
With the early non-fat lip hood, with cowl induction.
I don't know, that car below looks fairly "aero" to me.
Just putting an idea out there.

g-man

AMC only daily driver
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2020 at 3:48pm
Let's not forget the fun everybody saying "Waynes World" to you, get enough of that with the Gremlin.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Let's not forget the fun everybody saying "Waynes World" to you, get enough of that with the Gremlin.

Darren reminded me of a funny story.
Many years ago I took my Gremlin with the hopped-up 6 cyl to Palmdale Drag Strip. It was just an open fun night.
Everytime I came back down the end of the return road, up in the top corner of the bleachers, there was a group of young people that would yell "Wayne's World, Party On!".
It annoyed me because I thought they were making fun of the car.
But on my last run of the night, as I drove by the group for the last time. I stuck my left hand out and up in the air, and gave the "Wayne's World" salute.
The group erupted into applause and loud cheers.
I made their night, and they made mine.
So yeah, I'm sure that a fast Pacer is going to make some people smile with enjoyment.

g-man

AMC only daily driver
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2020 at 8:31pm
My Gremlin gets a fair bit of attention, being in Australia it’s an unusual car to see at the track, even people who know what it is generally comment that it’s the first one they have ever seen. There might be a dozen in the whole country, they were never sold here.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2020 at 10:30pm
Wayne’s World is one of my favorite movies, so I’d have fun with that. lol 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2020 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

At least one of the Pro Stock teams that raced AMC cars back in the 70s started with Gremlins then went to Hornets. Better aerodynamics.
Richard Maskin & Dave Canters did first and then Wally Booth switched when his engine ran .15 quicker and 7 mph faster in M&C's car.

Tom
It's Kanners, not Canters.
Just like it was spelled on the car in big letters
PacerLarry View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PacerLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2020 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

So does anyone have a Pacer they’ve done this to? Would love to hear some first hand experience with that. 

Sure do

Weight is going to be the biggest hurdle. My car is 3240 without driver. That's accessories removed, no exhaust, 5 gal fuel cell, aluminum radiator - iron heads, full interior, steel wheels. Lightweight wheels, strip interior, remove bumpers, aluminum heads, maybe it gets to 2800 lbs. 

As far as tires go, I run 26 x 9's and they look small in the wheel opening. I can easily run a 28x10, probably even 29". The first place it wants to rub is the inner wheel well - the "frame rail" if you will. With the right backspace, you have a lot of tire options.

Another plus is all the weight is over the rear axle. Weight transfer is great. Even with 100% stock suspension, the nose raises, the back squats, and it goes straight. 

Down side - part availability. You can buy Gremlin headers. You cannot buy Pacer headers. You have to get creative building a Pacer

For racing - short nose so you get a front row seat to the Christmas tree and there is no such thing as a blind spot so no one sneaks up on you LOL

djm2018 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djm2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2020 at 10:04am
I have a 71 Javelin race ready,maybe of interest to you?
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2020 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by PacerLarry PacerLarry wrote:

Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

So does anyone have a Pacer they’ve done this to? Would love to hear some first hand experience with that. 

Sure do

Weight is going to be the biggest hurdle. My car is 3240 without driver. That's accessories removed, no exhaust, 5 gal fuel cell, aluminum radiator - iron heads, full interior, steel wheels. Lightweight wheels, strip interior, remove bumpers, aluminum heads, maybe it gets to 2800 lbs. 

As far as tires go, I run 26 x 9's and they look small in the wheel opening. I can easily run a 28x10, probably even 29". The first place it wants to rub is the inner wheel well - the "frame rail" if you will. With the right backspace, you have a lot of tire options.

Another plus is all the weight is over the rear axle. Weight transfer is great. Even with 100% stock suspension, the nose raises, the back squats, and it goes straight. 

Down side - part availability. You can buy Gremlin headers. You cannot buy Pacer headers. You have to get creative building a Pacer

For racing - short nose so you get a front row seat to the Christmas tree and there is no such thing as a blind spot so no one sneaks up on you LOL

Thanks for the insight!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic