TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gremlin 2.0 no start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77grem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gremlin 2.0 no start
    Posted: Nov/12/2020 at 4:31pm
Thanks, guys for allowing me on your forum. I just have a quick issue I would like to ask about.  1977 gremlin has 2.0.  It ran before I messed with it but had a miss so I replaced wires, plugs, cap and rotor but when I put back together it will not start.  Does anyone have a pic of how wires should be running out of cap to the plugs I am sorry I am really not a mechanic my son wanted the car and we are playing with it. I know the firing order but not sure how to run wires to plugs.  Also, would anything else stop it from starting?  Any help u could give would be appreciated.  
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2020 at 7:43pm
Is there spark from the coil wire when you crank?
Is the firing order on the intake manifold?
Maybe like 1-3-2-4?
Only 4 possibilities on the cap. Plug the wires in the listed order following the direction of rotor rotation. If it doesn't start, move them all forward 1 position and try again. Repeat as necessary.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 2:29am
That's an Audi 2.0 engine...one of the few non-AMC engines that AMC put into their cars. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
77grem View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77grem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 8:31am
Not sure where number 1 wire goes on cap it's not marked so I tried where I think 1 is but would not start I moved them all the way around it tried to start in certain spots but no start.  Seem to smell of gas I assume it's flooding.  Thanks for the help
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 8:13pm
The usual advice in this place is 'go find a factory service manual', because they really are invaluable things, and the best money you can spend on the car, no exaggeration. But 77 is a big fat three-volume collection of dead tree. 

... dot dot dot ...

YOUR LUCKY DAY. Here's all three volumes, pretty cheap right now:

For the super basics, even a crappy old Haynes manual -- for the 77, Audi engine -- will get you firing order etc. 

But I'd get that manual set. It will make the car more valuable.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

77grem View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77grem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2020 at 8:28pm
Thank u very much.  I did get it started but now see water leaking out from back of motor.  Seems like this might be a never ending problem.  Is this car really worth putting money in? 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 6:55am
Originally posted by 77grem 77grem wrote:

Thank u very much.  I did get it started but now see water leaking out from back of motor.  Seems like this might be a never ending problem.  Is this car really worth putting money in? 
If you're not mechanically inclined, then probably not. 
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 8:40pm
Most inline 4 cylinders have a 1342 firing order.

I've seen some Ford 4 cylinders with 1243.

Edited by tyrodtom - Nov/16/2020 at 8:44pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 10:51pm
These things are old, AMC, or Ford, Chevy, the rest, 1977 is 1977. Unless it's been restored, repaired, or otherwise made drivable, to make that car go will require either you learning and persisting how to diagnose it, using the manual, folks here, other online or local resources, or pay someone with the skills to do so. 

Though I can obviously not see the car, from the sounds of it that car needs a lot of diagnosis just to assess it's state. All things are possible, but not all things are practical. You have to decide where you are gonna apply your resources (time, money, etc).

The new water leak could be fatal, like a cracked head, or as simple as a loose hose clamp. That, or a cracked heater hose, etc, are far more likely, esp. if you saw it run. Diagnosis is the key to resolving mysteries. YOu gotta be methodical.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2020 at 9:33am
77grem,

I have a 1977 AMC technical service manual that is mainly focused on the 2 litre engine. probably 75+ pages of information. Free, just pay for shipping, which will probably be under $6.00. Contact me if interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic