TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Great Amc Day 2022 - Event Date: Jun/24/2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 6:13am
I was lucky to be close to GAD this year.  Comments I heard were the shade is great, the flyer that was posted on Edgewater page wasn't clear for non AMC facebook page folk.  I think we would get more Mopar and UMTR guys if we improved that communication.  The announcing could have been better.  

My personal opinion is the venue is great, the track supported it well.  This is my local track so I was surprised that basically the whole crew was there.  It was a big risk for Edgewater to open the concessions, but obviously with the turnout they made a lot of money to cover the full crew.

I sent a young driver out in a car that wasn't prepared properly and he did great.  I ran a car unfamiliar to me and I could have been better.  I knew I was missing a few things and I'm sad to see some people that were here that I didn't get a chance to connect with.  Advice for next year, plan on showing up at the track the night before.  That is the best time to socialize and the few of us that did had a good time.

Congrats to Damian for a great first event.  
Ralfy
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 6:16am
"pretty sure" that the car labeled above was not Stewart Forney unless he brought two cars.  His car was a shade lighter.  I am curious who did have the beautiful Bittersweet car shown above since that is my favorite color on an AMX.

Edited by BassBoat - Jun/28/2022 at 7:06pm
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 6:42am
Originally posted by BassBoat BassBoat wrote:

"pretty sure" that the car labeled above was not Stewart Forney unless he brought two cars.  His car was a shade lighter.  I am curious who did have the beautiful Bittersweet car shown above since that is my favorite color on an AMX.

Yep, that's Stewart's car. He parked just across the pit road from me and Ketchum to hang out with us for the day. The car is powered by a healthy small block Ford. SUPER nice car!
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 8:26am
Joe, that is awesome !!!
Great pics also. Love the shot of the POS of course!
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 8:57am
What a adventure.
My old Dodge truck did a great job. 24 foot box trailer loaded down.
51 miles into the trip, rolling 70 mph, both right side trailer tires exploded. The semi truck to the right side saw what happened, he hit his 4 way flashers and slowed down to allow me to move over to the right side berm of 71.
How many spare tires does someone bring??
Correct. 1.
Thankfully a gentleman with West Virginia tags in a ford pickup truck pulled over to see if he could lend us a hand…His name was Joe…
the spare tire only had 25 lbs not 60 in it. And it sure didnt like all weight.
At 10 minutes till 5pm on a Thursday. Tire stores i called closed at 5pm…Joe called 1 and they told him they would stay open to help us out…
So, we throw both blown tires in the back of his truck. I stay with my truck and trailer, and Mark rides off with Joe to the tire store.
Mark calls me about 30 minutes later and says. 2 tires mounted ( no receipt) would be 280.00.
I think real quick,and say. If they have 2 more, buy them also… id given mark 500 cash and my discover card. 20 minutes later Joe and Mark return … figured i would rather have tires that need to be on rims then trying to find tires IF we needed more for the other side.
Before Joe left from helping us out, I’m handing him 100.00 bill for all his help, he refused the $$ but i said Joe, please take the money, it would have cost 5 times that or more if we would have had to call wrecker service. He did except the 100 then.
He restored my faith in humanity!!!
So. On the side of the freeway hour a hour and a half, and we are back on the road. Stopped by a TA travel truck stop, topped off the fuel. 1/4 tank worth. 80.00. Then aired up the spare we had to 60 psi… alright only 97 miles to go…lol…
We arrived finally and several friends were already at the track awaiting folks arriving.
Cooked half a dozen burgers on the grill we brought,potato salad, chips, cold drinks, loaded up the ole pipe and enjoyed the rest of the evening.
Not much sleep Thursday night. The floor of the box trailer is pretty hard. Lol…
One of my buddies picked up a few Wendy’s breakfast sandwiches for our breakfast.
And the day started off pretty nicely .
Last year i had made another clutch base adjustment, but had not been able to get back to the track. So pull up to make a time run in the right lane, do a burn out to heat the tires. Stage the car,
Hit the line lock/2 step button ( set at 6000 rpm)
Light comes down, let go of the button and it blows the tires off, then hooks and goes…mph is best the car has ever produced, but et much slower than the mph. But the car is finally back in the 9 second zone…
Cool car down, charge up the battery to make another test pass in the left  lane. ( Joe's pic)
I made no adjustments to the clutch.
Same staging procedure, but try left lane. Car hooked this time, front end came up in the air and before i could yank 2nd gear the nose came down.
60 foot was better but overall et was just a tad better…
I decided again, no clutch base adjustment, I’ll just dial the car in at 9.70 for eliminations.
Something wacky going on the clutch pedal. Push it down and sometimes it would go right into gear, a different push of the pedal and it felt different and wouldn’t go into gear without raking.
That is no way to try and run eliminations.
So i bowed out of eliminations and was spectating.
Loaded up, the drive home i ran right at the speed limit or a few mph under. Other than a accident slower traffic by 25 minutes we made it back home safe and sound…
 that is just a small part of my GAD adventure this year!

Had a GREAT AMC DAY for sure
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 11:22am
Definitely an adventure mikey! I always bring 2 spares on my adventures for that exact reason! I also bring spare lug nuts now...that's a whole different story! 

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 11:39am
To tell you the truth I brought 3 spares with me for my trailer, but that still didn't cut it.

On the way home the driver side rear of the trailer had a vacancy. The whole hub and tire was gone. Nothing but a spindle sticking out with the left overs of the wheel bearings stuck on it.

I'm glad it had twelve ply tires or the other one on that side probably would have blown up.

Found a hub at the local camper supply.  I did grease the wheel bearings last year with a grease gun. I guess I need to be more pro-active on the maintenance.
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 4:32pm
WOW Rob.ConfusedThat is sucky... Good thing you won some racing...  It was great to see you again and your awesome little hotrod kicking A$$.
did the boys ever find your name on the POS?
Mike

mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by DragRacingSpirit DragRacingSpirit wrote:

To tell you the truth I brought 3 spares with me for my trailer, but that still didn't cut it.

On the way home the driver side rear of the trailer had a vacancy. The whole hub and tire was gone. Nothing but a spindle sticking out with the left overs of the wheel bearings stuck on it.

I'm glad it had twelve ply tires or the other one on that side probably would have blown up.

Found a hub at the local camper supply.  I did grease the wheel bearings last year with a grease gun. I guess I need to be more pro-active on the maintenance.

When i had my trailer, i got a complete hub assy complete with lube,  bearings, washer, nut and cotter pin and cover.    I then got a spindle from an old axle and welded the spindle to where my spare would go..  then i mounted the spindle and spare onto the trailer.  
You never know when a hub will go on a trailer.. 

Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Barney
pos6871 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pos6871 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2022 at 6:00pm
https://youtu.be/VkSS99agNIY
Here is an awesome video from Lucore automotive of GAD 2022 coverage 
Pos68 68 javelin, 79 amx, and 71 javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic