TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Going Forwards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going Forwards
    Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 12:21pm
Well, I didn't get my pump gas AMX into the 10s this year despite the $$$ spent. This winter I'm planning on pulling the Edelbrock heads off and having them CNC'd for more flow. Don't think a cam change is necessary. Might consider putting a bit more boost to it. Best ET was 11.06 at Cordova this year. 10s aren't out of reach.

Even so, making a quick AMC powered anything is getting costly. Once I reach my goal of 10s I'll be at a crossroads. Going any faster on pump gas with AMC power will be cost prohibitive therefore the options are:

1) Replace the AMC engine with a more cost effective brand 'X' engine.
2) Sell the car as-is and build something else.

I suspect I'm not alone in this. I'll be AMC powered for 2022 but doubt much beyond that.

-Steve-
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 1:27pm
How is your car & engine built?? I'm not a drag racing guy, but I am always interested in seeing what it takes to go that fast.

I also like seeing what seasoned experienced racers say to do to a car & engine combo to get maximum performance out of it.
"Prolly" is not a word.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 2:27pm
With the push to EV, by the time I get my car done, I may take up going to a conversion to electric. There was. 9 second small car with a GE train motor mounted to a TH400 and a bunch of heavy lead acid batteries. Now with modern batteries, my vehicle weight should be around the same as his car. Problem is, I am not all gung ho on pure electric. But, who knows how much tech will change on efficiency. Knowing to mount through a transmission, instead of direct drive, will be not as efficient.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

With the push to EV, by the time I get my car done, I may take up going to a conversion to electric. There was. 9 second small car with a GE train motor mounted to a TH400 and a bunch of heavy lead acid batteries. Now with modern batteries, my vehicle weight should be around the same as his car. Problem is, I am not all gung ho on pure electric. But, who knows how much tech will change on efficiency. Knowing to mount through a transmission, instead of direct drive, will be not as efficient.

I've been keeping a third eye on that stuff too. Got a pie-in-the-sky idea in mind using electric motors in assistance to the gasoline engine. Electric motors make a ton of torque and it's instant (there's a great story about that told by Bob Gurr when he was developing Disneyland's monorail system). Still don't like the battery part. They're expensive and don't have a very long lifespan.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

How is your car & engine built?? I'm not a drag racing guy, but I am always interested in seeing what it takes to go that fast.

I also like seeing what seasoned experienced racers say to do to a car & engine combo to get maximum performance out of it.

It spends 95% of it's time on the street as it's a true street car. Runs on pump gasoline only. Bored and stroked 401 CI out to 420 CI. Holley Super Sniper EFI and Torqstorm supercharger. The EFI runs a very safe tune. The tune could be tweaked for more power but I don't want things tuned to the ragged edge.

-Steve-

gunnarcove View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnarcove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 3:36pm
steve,
i thought your car ran in the 10s at cordova. what was your 1/8 mile et?
sounded and ran good from my perspective. 

don
amo #9922
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

It spends 95% of it's time on the street as it's a true street car. Runs on pump gasoline only. Bored and stroked 401 CI out to 420 CI. Holley Super Sniper EFI and Torqstorm supercharger. The EFI runs a very safe tune. The tune could be tweaked for more power but I don't want things tuned to the ragged edge.

-Steve-

Steve,

What car? Weight?  Manual or auto?? What gears & tires?? Suspension mods?? Intake manifold?

That's gotta be a lot of fun on the street! I'm just happy when my car starts & I can drive it around the block (slowly) a few times. Being able to street drive a 11.0 car makes my head spin! Smile
"Prolly" is not a word.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 6:37pm
More boost, ragged edge tune, run you 10 and then back it off, unles you want to run 10's all the time I guess.

What are your ET cutoffs over there, my mate ran 10.98 once and the track officials came down on him like a tonne of bricks, had to get the car tech inspected, the existing cage didn't meet current regs, now has to wear a full face helmet, balaclava and race suit. Hasn't run in the 10's since. We can run 11.0 with minimal safety requirements in an old car.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by gunnarcove gunnarcove wrote:

steve,
i thought your car ran in the 10s at cordova. what was your 1/8 mile et?
sounded and ran good from my perspective. 

don

Ran 7.0s in the 1/8th at Cordova. Best 1/8th is 6.94.

Funny you mention sound, had more than one person tell me at Cordova they were surprised how quiet the car was running the ET it does.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 6:57pm

Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

-Steve-

Steve,

What car? Weight?  Manual or auto?? What gears & tires?? Suspension mods?? Intake manifold?

That's gotta be a lot of fun on the street! I'm just happy when my car starts & I can drive it around the block (slowly) a few times. Being able to street drive a 11.0 car makes my head spin! Smile

'69 AMX. About 3,000 lbs with me in it. 727 auto. 3.50 gears. Calvert racing Cal-Tracs, split monoleafs with 7-way adjustable shocks in the back, factory trunnions up front. Got the AMC Victor Jr intake.

And I even drive it to Wal-Mart.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - Nov/20/2021 at 7:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic