TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can an AW4 be converted to 2WD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can an AW4 be converted to 2WD?
    Posted: Apr/05/2009 at 7:16pm
I have a 1997 4.0L already in my '64 American. I have the AW4 tranny that came with the 4.0L from a Jeep Cherokee 4WD. Does anyone know what I would need to convert it to a 2WD if possible? I see in my service manual that there is a 2WD extention housing. Is there a difference between 2WD and 4WD transmissions?   

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2009 at 7:42pm
The trannies came in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. The 2wd trans would have a longer output shaft and extension housing. You would have to dig up a 2wd output and and housing. The trans would most likely need to be completely disassembled to swap out the pieces.
Or just find a 2wd version.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2009 at 8:13pm
I know where you can find a transmission from a 2WD grand. I have the 4.0 and know where the tranny is.
It's a MOPAR 2wd auto. It's in Iowa, though.....
All the rest pmm has covered. Swap the tail shaft housing, output shaft, he's also right that if you found the parts, you'd have to tear into 2 transmissions to do the change, might as well just use the 2wd version!
comanchemty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comanchemty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2010 at 12:17am
What about a ax 15 standard?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic