TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Loose Idler Arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2023 at 10:20am
 I bought a Carlson CMC-5f kit based on another thread here it turns out the idler was not 100% correct the assembled stack up where it mounts to the bracket was too much I ended up machining the idler arm down IIRC about .2" and changed to a locking nut I might have cut that down also. Others here might know what options are available other than a stock replacement.

J
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2023 at 10:40am
Trying to picture this, is it possible to shim the 0.200" with a washer on the bearing rather then machining the idler arm or even a step washer on the top?
Assuming a flat washer would have to go on the bottom of the stack, but that should not have much effect on the taper end joint alignment.
Washers are much cheaper for people that don't have access to a machine shop.
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2023 at 11:01am
I am looking at this kit from open tracker. Trying to see if I could use something they have. Sent them an email to ask for some specifications of the bushings etc. 

Edited by 6t8amxetc - May/12/2023 at 11:08am
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2023 at 10:16pm
OK, so I got an email back from open tracker racing. The only bearing kits they have are the smaller .63 diameter bearing sets. I did manage to buy a set off of eBay though that is similar to JGRANTAMX but hopefully has the right stack up height and I.D.

My question now is if I use my mounting arm to the frame rail because it’s in good shape and is the .72 diameter. How many different Amc model idler arms will fit for my 64 American? It appears they are the same for the 68 and 69 Amx also. There are lots of idler arms on eBay for everything from hornets to matadors to Javelin‘s. Is there any differences in length of the arm and angles on the ends? Any input would be appreciated. The eBay sellers don’t usually have a very good grasp on what models they fit either.
Also hoping to have the ball end be grease-able too.
And most all other sellers seem to be out of stock/discontinued!Cry

Edited by 6t8amxetc - May/16/2023 at 10:21pm
Godzilla10 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godzilla10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2023 at 6:56pm
Any solutions to .72 Idle Arm Bushings all i can find are the .63 versions. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic