TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

do's and don'ts of clear coat touchups?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do's and don'ts of clear coat touchups?
    Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 9:36am
Besides that small spot where the paint lifted from the metal on the right quarter (will be under vinyl top trim) and a small nick the size of a pin I made when installing the front bumper, there's a couple spots I need to fix elsewhere, very small, but will take half a day, I'm sure.
I've only ever worked with acrylic enamal and other "old-fashioned" paints that were common in the 70's.

What are the do's and don'ts of touching up a clearcoat finish?
What can be "mixed", what cannot (like in the old days, don't put laquar over enamal, etc.) that sort of thing?
A couple are small enough to touch with a small artists brush, but that one spot and the bottom edge of the spoiler that didn't get painted I need to touch-up with spray.
What can I do and not do? Must I go back with the base-coat/clear coat on really small touch-ups or could I take the tip of a brush and the acrylic enamal I bought for the engine bay and touch those very tiny spots by the front bumper (almost hidden) that sort of thing?
There's also a spot the size of the end of a toothpick in the corner of the windshield where the windshield reveal trim nicked the paint (I was using a piece of plastic between the trim and body when I installed it, but the plastic slipped out of one corner)
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 11:34pm
still can't put anything over lacquer. For small parts you can touch it up with AE - they sound too small to try to blend BC/CC in. AE is probably your best bet.
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2007 at 12:26am
I wondered.......... most of the areas are so small I'll probably use a fine artists brush, that other area where it lifted will be pretty well hidden, it's at the edge of the vinyl top, next to the drip rail, behind the quarter window. So trim will cover all if not most of it.
So just stick with the AE, which I already have, I suppose. My big thing is to prevent further damage, and since the one area is down to bare steel, I need to take special care there.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2007 at 8:02am
not that it's applicable here, but I've put 2 component urethane clear over both lacquer and enamel with no problems so I suspect most other finishes would also work. You do need to be careful as modern basecoats will most likely lift lacquer/enamel if sprayed on top.  Basecoats that are not catalized will most often also lift existing basecoat if sprayed directly on top (no barrier sealer or clear in between).

Edited by Steve_P - Aug/20/2007 at 8:03am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2007 at 12:02am
The only problem with BC is repairs! The only real choice is AE for small repairs. If it's a big one BC is all but impossible to get a good blend from new to old. I've always been told the only way is to paint the entire panel, or maybe from a hard body line (especially if there's a piece of chrome covering the edge) or some other visual separator to a panel edge or another seam/separator. Like on a 65-66 Classic you could remove the top edge chrome and repaint from the edge over to the hood, but would still have to paint the entire length of the fender -- just to repair a ding or deep scratch. Makes me wish I'd had my car done in AE or a single stage urethane rather than BC. Repairing a panel with the flames will be tough! 
Frank Swygert
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2007 at 12:13am
Usually on a 2 stage, starting from a line like a molding is to fool the eye if there's a shading difference. If it were a collision repair, then depending who's doing it will change how it's done. The quick way out is to just shoot the fender and let the owner and anyone with a good eye admire the shading change at the door line.
Others will shoot half way down the door and fade in the color so it's not obvious. A complete panel does not have to be shot.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2007 at 2:26am
Since the car was painted in BC/CC, I wouldn't patch with any other type of paint. It will be more visible.

Unless you're painting entire panels, keep the touchup area as small as possible. The larger it is, the more visible it will be.

For the pinhole marks, unless the knick is through the colour, just fill the hole with clear on the end of a toothpick or cut off Q-tip. It will be less visible if you use the same clear that was used on the rest of the car. Clears are all slightly tinted. Mixing different clears will show the repair. Add a touch of hardener, and the repair can be cut and polished to blend it in with the rest of the panel.

The larger area where the paint fell off was not prep'ed properly in the first place. Make sure you scuff up the area properly and clean it well with wax/grease remover. Make sure you get to all the areas under the vinyl where the paint has come off, otherwise you will get rust blisters under the vinyl. Again, keep the patch as small as possible. Use the eraser end of a pencil to drive the sandpaper. Apply the primer and colour with a small modeling brush. Lightly scuff the surrounding clear (not through to the colour), to blend in the new clear. Use an airbrush or similar to spray the clear (with hardener ), then buff it out when it is dry. Don't worry too much about overspraying the past the patch, when you buff it out, it will all clean up.

Use 400-600 grit paper to prep bare metal and primer. Wet sand the clear with 1000-1500-2000 grit before buffing out with your favourite compound. Work the patch area as little as possible.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
FamlyTradition View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FamlyTradition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2007 at 4:23pm
 You can blend cearcoat. I would leave that to the pros. Takes practice and skill and talent. Not something to do at home if you don't know how. Sounds like your spoiler will have to be repainted if you want an undectable repair. Also, Base coat has to be top/clear coated. Base coat is just colar, no protection.
65 Rambler Classic 550 & 660
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic