TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970's V-8 AMC Indy Cars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Aljav Aljav wrote:

This is just incrediable that not one but two exist. ( do you know if these were completely or partially restored?)Plus 3 motors. I assume that these are the only two cars made?  Where are these located, would love to see them in person. Thumbs Up

The #11 car has the iron engine in it and the #73 car has the aluminum engine. The three engines in the background are all aluminum.

They are at the Ray Skillman museum in Greenwood Indiana. It's not open to the public, you can only get in by appointment. 
'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 3:32pm
Beautiful,
thanks for posting it!
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 6:46pm
Intakes are interesting......don't look like Enderles or maybe modified Enderles??

The Weaver dry sump pump and bracket are mounted the same as the 71+ Trans Am Javelins.  I have one of those brackets.....bought last one Weaver has before they went out 
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2023 at 7:57am
The intakes are modified but from what? The bridge between banks have been welded.

And one set of heads has welded exhaust ports. 

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2023 at 9:12pm
I have a set of the heads. There are a couple of versions of the castings and mine are a fair amount different than the above picture. These were ported by Hank The Crank back in the day. Spent a lot of effort trying to use them, but there was no way - the castings are full of fissures.
PAGAENT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGAENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2023 at 10:29am
Some of the features of those injectors look like Kinsler, they used a lot of identical hardware as Hilborn.
Pat Gary
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2023 at 8:46am
I have two different versions of the heads. I was told AMC had made castings first and the race team took over due to poor quality and had them made at a foundry on the west coast. These were supposed to be good. Don't know if there are any foundry marks to tell the difference. I had mine in the shop and they said they were good. They all have markings by Hank the Crank on them.

Here's a close-up of the intake.

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic