TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vacuum Wiper Motor not working in Rogue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2015 at 6:02am
If the flapper valves are good and last you will be fine for a while, but I bet the leather seal has shrunk a bit over time and doesn't seal as well as it should. I've rejuvenated vac motors like that before. They seem to last a year or two, and are a good bit weaker than new. Will probably move rain okay, but forget snow. For a fair weather car that might get caught in the rain you should be okay, for a daily driver seriously consider a new motor. 
Frank Swygert
n3wwl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n3wwl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Pull the hose off the motor and spray some WD40 into the motor. Work the wipers back and forth by hand a few times and then start the engine and see if that doesn't help. If not, you'll have to rebuild the wiper motor.

Is this a viable troubleshooting hint?  The vacuum wipers on my 69 AMX are operating, but won’t park when turned off. They just stay wherever they are when the switch is turned off. I can manually park them easily. I’m thinking the valve inside the motor may be suspect and want to try a temporary fix using the above WD-40 method. Will this damage any internal parts?  Thanks in advance…

1969 BBB 390 4 speed
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2022 at 9:09pm
Actually I used some ATF and My Vac wipers worked for awhile.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 8:45pm
All the ATF or WD-40 will do is soften the grease on the flapper inside and help it seal, at least for a while. How long depends on how bad the seal actually is.

n3wwl -- that won't help your parking issue. The flapper has a valve on it that goes bad. The only way to fix it is to get a rebuilt vac wiper motor.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2022 at 11:34pm
Nothing lasts forever, but vacuum wipers motors come close. But at 25, 30 plus years, it simply needs to come out and have money spent on it. 

Being a Yankee cheapskate and handy with my hands (umm, i guess) I've successfully made flapper valves that last a long time from fiberglass fabric impregnated with Ultra Black. But it's tricky. And eventually the large wiping seal is simply beyond kludges like oiling. You can buy kits of parts but it's all really peculiar stuff and you can't easily tell what kit is the right one etc and for $150, you can get a wonderfully rebuilt and working unit from Peter Stathes (amcrambler.com) and reward s dedicated AMCer at the same time. 

Mine works down to 5 In Hg which is great cuz I don't have a booster pump. I essentially don't need it. 

Hurray for Peter!
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic