TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

eastwood hot stapler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc'snjeep's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2014 at 10:56pm
I've never priced plastex but baking soda and super glue will do the same thing
70 javelin bbb 390 4spd sold

70 amx 390 4 spd BBG Shadow mask   
68 american
77 j20 401 66 American convertable 70 BBB AMX 390 Auto
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 6:21pm
Not so, with the black ABS plastic dash parts, using black Plastex, there is no need to paint if you go through the process of finer and finer grits of sand paper until you can polish it. Looks exactly like the original black dash.

AND,

Never use cyanoacrylate adhesives (crazy glue) on clear plastic, it will craze the plastic and leave a whitish ghost shadow that ruins it, ask me how I know. Plastex comes in clear and doesn't attack the clear plastic.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
amc'snjeep's View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc'snjeep's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2014 at 9:00pm
The only thing I've repaired with baking soda and super glue is a 70 jav grille. It is very strong and is able to be sanded. also fills holes and makes missing pieces. I can see the black powder on dashes and such.
70 javelin bbb 390 4spd sold

70 amx 390 4 spd BBG Shadow mask   
68 american
77 j20 401 66 American convertable 70 BBB AMX 390 Auto
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 2:34pm
Well, I've been using the Eastwood hot stapler now in conjunction with the Plastex and it's the ultimate repair - a true engineering "belt & suspenders" approach. For some repairs, such as the horizontal grille slats on a '69 AMX the Plastex is the way to go since it's too difficult to get the hot stapler in there and it wouldn't look aesthetically pleasing, but I repaired one of the top corner "ears" on the dash using both and it turned out great. It's an area that won't be seen once repaired so strength is more important then aesthetics, but even so it looked great and was ultra-strong. Using both products you can actually graft bits & pieces from two junk plastic parts to create one good part.
Artful Dodger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artful Dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 1:48pm
Hi;
I had not heard of baking soda and crazy glue til now. Where can I read about so I can see what proportions to use?
Thanks
67, 770, 232 Auto
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 9:24pm
Right from the Super Glue site
http://www.supergluecorp.com/blog/2012/06/18/gap-filling-with-super-glue-and-baking-soda/
Faster is Better
LouB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 12:14pm
Thanks.  I just ordered plastex to try it out.  I have the Eastwood stapeler put I'm willing to try the new tech!
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2021 at 12:31pm
There’s actually another product called Plastruct that I think is as good as Plastex: 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic