TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

eagle 258

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchornet1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eagle 258
    Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 6:56pm
Ok I am planning on putting a 93  jeep grand  4.0 head with injection on my eagle this summer...I was thinking of also using the jeep trans with the eagle transfer case. Will the jeep trans and eagle transfer case fit together? and will it all fit under an eagle?
Joe
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 Eagle sedan
1993 grand jeep Np242
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/amchornet/profile/
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 11:03pm
Not directly, no.
You may need to make some modifications - for one thing, the output splines will probably be different, and the clocking. Not sure if the Jeeps t-case uses 21 spline or not, but the Eagle uses a 23 spline transfer case.
The Jeep had a 242 transfer case if I am correct.

How will you handle the Jeep electronic controls for the transmission? Are you going to transfer the transmission controller and all?
What about crank sensor? It senses off the Jeep flywheel or flexplate on the Jeep......
With that transmission and all, you'll need to figure on VSS as well.
But in short, the Eagle t-case won't be a direct bolt-on to a Jeep transmission of that vintage.
If you are willing to do some work, some things are possible - but with the Eagle - there's very very little "wiggle room" as far as that transfer case. Take a peek under there - see where the exhaust ends up?
At least with an automatic, you don't have to deal with the exhaust cleaing a bloody clutch cylinder!!

(I ask you - how many AMC people go to this great extend to ensure the transfer case has all the correct and proper paint inspection marks, part number stencils, etc. - on top where no one will ever see it and only I know it's there??  LOL)

I had to make a new bracket for the pinion support so the exhaust would clear. I didn't want to cut the exhaust again, I'd just got all that done and put back proper to repair the cracked tubes when I realized dang, I should have re-angled the outlet to keep from having to do this with the exhaust!

Don't forget to consider how you'll handle the electric fuel pump........

Edited by billd - Apr/15/2013 at 11:05pm
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 12:56am
There are a few options for transmissions. The Wranglers used a 999 behind the 4.0L till '02 or so.
Valvebody ('99 Wrangler 999)

999 Case with crank sensor

The AW4 is 3.5" longer and you need a 1" spacer ring. '91 up is 23 spline. You need a computer to run it so an XJ EFI harness '91 to '95 is easiest. It's lighter than the others too.

The 42RE from a Grand Cherokee is a lump. It's longer and needs the Grand Cherokee mess of spaghetti wiring to operate it. I gave up trying to parse down a '93 Grand Cherokee (with AW4. Only year with it) harness with the alarm system and antitheft. Arrgh!

I just happen to have both for sale
amchornet1970 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchornet1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 6:24pm
Ok I forgot to mention I have a complete 93 grand still running for parts. So I should have everything I need. If I understand right it should have the 23 spline being a 93. What would I need the 1" spacer for?? I was hoping too find a duel speedo sensor like Bill did from a dakota for the vss. I think you had to switch out the speedo cable when you did that but we can see then. This may sound like a dumb question but how do I tell which trans is in the jeep? The one in there has a crank sensor like the top photo in carnuck's post.
Joe
1985 Eagle sedan
1993 grand jeep Np242
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 6:42pm
93 Grand Cherokees could have either the AW4 or 42RE depending on when it was built. If the OD button is on the dash, it is a 42RE and not worth the trouble to swap in my opinion. If it's an AW4, I would definitely consider the swap. Since you plan on swapping in the fuel injection, it makes it a little "easier" to do the trans swap. The 1" spacer is needed because the input shaft of the Eagle's transfer case is longer than the one on the GC. The Grand Cherokee most likely has a 249 transfer case and it's not that desirable for offroaders but would be good in an Eagle, but they are AWD. If it is a selectable transfer case, you have a 242, which is a great transfer case to put in an Eagle. You may be able to cut the input shaft of the NP129 down to fit without a spacer. From what I have been told, no experience, the Grand Cherokee harness is much more difficult to use for a swap because of more wires than a Cherokee.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

mpfi eagle View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpfi eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 7:23pm

I used the stock eagle trans and converted the front damper to the mopar/hesco type crank sensor and bracket. works good.  I had my speedo cable cut and added fittings to accept the jeep speed sensor in line. The 91-95 vintage injection is what I used. The 4.0 intake will work with the 258 exhaust manifold with some milling and relocating the alignment dowels. That makes the exhaust a non issue.  I also used a stock 4.0 intake with a 87-90 vintage tubular manifold, fabricated a front pipe similiar to what's pictured above.  My 4.7 stroker works quite nice with that arrangement. The electric fuel pump is mounted just inboard of the right leaf spring front bolt under the floor.

Why do I drive that thing? 'Cause I want to.
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 1:47pm
The JGC harness is MUCH harder to swap in. I tried in my '84 J10 and while I am no novice wiring guy, all the anti-theft alarm sensors (on the door handles, etc) made it horrific to parse down.
The 1" spacer is only if you keep the Eagle tcase.
amchornet1970 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amchornet1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 5:48pm
Well its offical I wont have enoufgh funds to do my 4.0 head/trans. swap on the eagle this year. Other things have come up. So I will work on some small stuff this summer instead. Mabey punch some louvers in my hood for the hornet...change the carb on the eagle...well see. I also have to paint the garage so...we will see.
Joe
1985 Eagle sedan
1993 grand jeep Np242
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 10:05pm
I just modded a Carter BBD intake from an '83+ 258 to fit a Renix (first time in over 10 years) It was pretty easy with a dremel and my Estwing hammer to tap the exhaust header pipes a bit to fit. It'll do until I get time to make the wiring harness work with the Spirit of the Eagle's harness.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic