TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 Rebel Fact Air Convert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dusterva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Rebel Fact Air Convert
    Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 4:17pm
I have a 68 Rebel SST with factory air. Need a new compressor, evap/cond are good. Was going t obuy a York but found Nostalgia Air "Kit" wit hComp/Bracket and drier for $240.00. Has anyone done this conversion? Any pitfalls? I have read some threads on this but no article on the conversion. Help is appreciated.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2012 at 4:49pm
I put an aftermarket system on my two Rogues and used the adapter mounts from York to Sanden. The adapter mounts worked well but I had to shim one of them a bit to get good belt alignment.
New parts will likely have o-ring fittings, so you will have to adapt your fittings or change them to o-ring style.
The Sanden compressor takes almost no power and will not vibrate. The new compressor will not have high and low side ports, so you will have to add them for the type of refrigerant you are using. If it were mine, I would change the hoses to barrier hoses with the correct fittings at each point, service ports near the compressor and add a high/low pressure switch at the dryer.
If you change refrigerants, I recommend flushing out the system and replacing the valve. You don't have to use expensive flush stuff, brake cleaner followed by a good stream of air from a compressor will clean it out without leaving residue. Do it before you add the new dryer. Then when you vacuum the system down you will remove the moisture left by the compressed air.

Edited by 6768rogues - Mar/09/2012 at 4:56pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic